Senior Manager, Actuarial and Analytics , Actuary Middle Market Commercial Accounts Group, Remote
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Who Are We?Taking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Compensation OverviewThe annual base salary range provided for
this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad
range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual
salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors,
including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the
skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the
candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our
comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also
eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.Salary
Range$108,600.00 - $179,100.00Target Openings1What Is the
Opportunity?In Business Insurance Actuarial and Analytics, we
deliver tailored analytics and innovative data science solutions
that influence decisions and enable superior results. We have an
inclusive culture where everyone feels that they belong, can be
authentic, are valued, respected, empowered and part of our
success. We see strength in the uniqueness that each of us
contributes to creating innovative solutions and improving business
The Sr. Manager, Actuarial and Analytics is an analytic leadership
role that encompasses the management of assigned strategic
initiatives and operational assignments which may include
reserving, rate-making, pricing, planning/forecasting, project
management and research. The individual in this role is expected to
lead project teams of actuarial & analytic partners and provide
analytical insights and recommendations to leadership and Business
partners. The Sr. Manager, Actuarial and Analytics will work within
broad limits and authority on complex assignments requiring
specialized knowledge and expertise in breadth and/or depth in one
or more of the following areas: Actuarial and/or research methods,
Advanced statistical analyses, Broad business knowledge, In-depth
Line of Business knowledge, and Awareness of enterprise Actuarial &
Analytics community. This role may act as a manager of a small
This role within the BI MM CAG actuarial team will be responsible
for advancing Middle Market Market Relevant Price initiatives
including developing requirements for MRP data sources and tools,
evaluating external data sources, and partnering with Analytics &
Research and Information Management & Analytics to build and
implement predictive models. Additionally, this position supports
Auto & GL lines of business analyses and Industry/Regional analyses
This role may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
#LI-HybridPrimary Job Duties & ResponsibilitiesStrategy:
- Hold a lead role in strategic planning as well as manage the
successful execution and completion of assigned strategic
initiatives and projects.
- Develop solutions to resolve challenges of an initiative.
- Propose change and innovation in order to improve project team
performance and timelines.
- This position will often participate on cross-unit initiatives
and may participate on Enterprise initiatives.Operational:
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve
business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Drive day to day execution within unit. Support broad
- Begin to promote efficiency across primary working group,
balancing additional effort against incremental lift gained from
- Begin to make decisions independently in accordance with
- Begin to provide direction and review others' analytical
- Begin to translate business requests into analytical
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the
Enterprise within the scope of influence.Communication:
- Communicates analysis, project results, and other business
initiatives on a regular basis to staff, peers, and business
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audience with
guidance from manager.
- Actively participates and may lead group discussions.
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or
presentations with guidance.
- Networks and collaborates on ideas and challenges.Talent:
- Staff responsibilities may include direct management of 1 to 2
individual contributors or interns.
- Acquisition, retention, and development of talent for assigned
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including
performance and personal development goals.
- Talent assessment recommendations.
- Performance management.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives
across assigned Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent
assessment efforts.Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 3 years of experience in quantitative analysis
required.Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL,
- 5+ years of quantitative analysis experience preferred.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and
- Management experience preferred.Job Specific Technical Skills &
- Take ownership of projects including initiating the project,
drawing up the project plan, carrying out the action items and make
- Proficient in Leading Self, exhibiting decisiveness and
self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Initial development of Leading Others, including modeling the
way for others and leading team projects.
- Initial development of Leading the Business, including actively
engaging in driving business results, broad thinking and promoting
an Enterprise culture.
- Business Acumen:
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of a few key
business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products,
reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim,
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in
developing analytic solutions.
- Has a general perspective of certain areas of the industry and
developing trends such as: technology, analytic methodology,
products and performance of competitors.
- Begins to be familiar with other key business drivers and
discipline areas as well.
- Relationship Management:
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships
across the BI&AA community across the Enterprise.
- Generate and solicit ideas, and build consensus with
- Aware of potential conflict and addresses with limited
- Begin to acknowledge accomplishments of others within your
primary working group.
- Set and manage expectations with business partners for small
- Quantitative Analysis:
- Evaluate and use appropriate data, tools and methods.
- Independently perform and implement analytics.
- May engage in technical/peer review.
- Begin to design and able to contribute on more complex analytic
- Begin to understand diverse perspectives to effectively
accomplish business goals.Travelers offers a hybrid work location
model that is designed to support flexibility.#LI-HybridThis
position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our
offices.#LI-RemoteEmployment PracticesTravelers is an equal
opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents
each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we
benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.To learn more about our
comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , Senior Manager, Actuarial and Analytics , Actuary Middle Market Commercial Accounts Group, Remote, Accounting, Auditing , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!