Company: The Salvation Army
Posted on: March 16, 2023
Location/Department: Divisional Headquarters, Finance Department
Status: Non-exempt, Full-time
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Schedule: - Mon-Fri; 8:30 am - 4:00 pm -
Scope & Purpose of Position: Maintain financial, accounting, and
grant support services in order to meet the needs of the
organization and the donor. - Prepare financial statements,
maintain cash controls, and provide financial reports and analysis.
- Responsible for the operations of post-award grant administration
and related accounting duties. - Will focus heavily on compliance,
reporting, and various analysis functions.
- Perform grant-related, post-award functions, including income
and expense analysis, financial reporting, reconciliations, and
grant close-out functions.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports for donors as
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports for internal
- Review invoices and provide account codes, when appropriate,
for proper project accounting.
- Produce budget and expense analysis reports.
- Effectively communicate monthly financial results with
appropriate program staff, informing them of the financial position
of various projects.
- Support required audits in the field and at DHQ.
- Review/monitor individual grants and transactions for
compliance with private, local, state, and federal fund
requirements, billing and collections, and journal
- Verify budget proposals for grant applications.
- Effectively communicate complex financial issues to employees,
administrators, auditors, the general public, and granting
- Develop positive working relationships to foster a
collaborative environment for grant coordination and
- Adhere to guidelines for staff responsibilities as found in The
Salvation Army's Employee Manual.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business
Administration, or a related field.
- At least two years of general accounting experience or
equivalent experience managing grants. This should include
processing complex financial transactions, ensuring compliance with
legal or contractual requirements, recordkeeping, and preparation
of monthly, quarterly and/ or annual reporting.
- Ability to effectively communicate financial information to
non-financial managers both orally and in writing.
- Ability to analyze, evaluate, and summarize financial records
for accuracy and conformance to procedures, rules, and
- Familiar with accounting fundamentals.
- Capable of managing numerous simultaneous projects.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience with the MS Office
package software applications with advanced skills using Microsoft
- Excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication
skills as well as ability to multi-task are essential.
- Must complete all required trainings upon hire.
- Working knowledge of federal and state regulations related to
area of responsibility.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of governmental
- Skill in researching, analyzing, and evaluating complex
- Ability to analyze and interpret data for accuracy. Detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to provide a high level
of customer service and establish and maintain effective
interdepartmental communications and relationships.
- Will respect and promote the interest of The Salvation Army.
The individual is not required to embrace the tenets of faith, but
he/she is required to promote and respect the mission of The
Benefits of Working for The Salvation Army: - The Salvation Army is
pleased to offer a comprehensive benefit program to full-time
employees who work at least 30 hours per week.
- Comprehensive health care coverage with low cost employee
premiums, co-pays, and deductibles
- Telehealth/on-line doctor visits
- Basic and voluntary term life insurance
- Short term disability coverage and optional long term
- Supplemental insurance coverage options
- Flexible spending accounts for health care and dependent
- Employer-funded pension plan
- Tax-deferred annuity plan
- Educational assistance
- Generous paid time off, including holidays, vacation, sick,
personal, bereavement, and marriage
- Eligibility for the Federal Government's Public Student Loan
- Most importantly - a job with a good purpose
The Salvation Army Mission Statement: The Salvation Army, an
international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal
Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry
is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the
gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer: All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, sex, national origin, disability, or protected
Keywords: The Salvation Army, Hartford , Staff Accountant, Accounting, Auditing , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...