Medical Receptionist I - Orthopedics, Full Time
Company: Connecticut Children's Medical Center
Posted on: November 22, 2021
Under direct supervision, performs varied medical reception and/or
administrative support tasks or activities within a specified
physician practice/office or clinical care center. Greet
patients/visitors, check patients in and out for office
appointments, answer phones and direct calls; schedule
appointments; answer basic questions; and perform routine clerical,
data entry/data retrieval, and/or filing ensuring all policies and
procedures are observed. Duties require knowledge of physician
office/clinical care center routines and a basic understanding of
the organization, programs, procedures and terminology related to a
physician office/clinical care center. Reports to an Office
VIDEO INTERVIEW REQUIRED
To be considered for next steps in the interview process for a
Medical Receptionist opportunity, we require all external
applicants to introduce themselves to us through our digital video
interview process. (Applicants that are current employees of
Connecticut Children's do not need to complete a video interview.)
Please complete your application, and then return to this page to
complete your digital video interview.
Click Here to take the first step in your interview process with
- Following established protocol, greet direct patients/parents,
internal staff and external visitors.
- Check patients in and out for office appointments, following
established protocol; ensure completion of appropriate paperwork,
follow-up with patient/family to obtain missing information, obtain
signatures and release forms (including verification of legal
guardianship of adults accompanying patients); and, collect patient
- Answer telephone and triage calls for the practice/department.
Schedule appointments via telephone or in-person and makes calls to
confirm appointments. May schedule/coordinate appointments with
other areas of the hospital.
- Perform routine verification of insurance, and may obtain
routine authorization/referrals from payors or providers.
- On a daily basis, perform specified clerical support functions
according to policy and procedure: may batch and check patient
encounter forms for accuracy; establish, maintain, pull and/or file
patient charts, records and other files.
- Perform data entry to record routine patient demographic and
insurance information into computer, following established
- Copy and/or duplicate materials as requested; may prepare and
- Proofread all work for accuracy and neatness.
- May run various errands, as requested, for the
- Perform various routine administrative support tasks requested
by Physicians and Manager. Cross-trained in all front desk duties
to provide cross-coverage as needed.
- Maintain professional expertise pertaining to the functions of
the position by attending computer-training classes or continuing
education programs, as deemed necessary by the Office
- Demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills
and ability to interact effectively with all members of the health
care team. Function as a member of the office team and ensure
appropriate cross-coverage when necessary. Encourage team members
to adhere to professional standards and to expand
- Demonstrates knowledge of the age-related differences and needs
of patients in appropriate, specific populations from neonate
through adolescence and applies them to practice. Demonstrates
cultural sensitivity in all interactions with
- Demonstrates support for the mission, values and goals of the
organization through behaviors that are consistent with the CCMC
Under CCSG, this role will entail planned flex time which includes
flexing to other work locations including to the satellite
locations and/or flexing schedules to include evenings as well as
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma, GED, or a higher level of education that
would require the completion of high school, is required.
- Minimum of 6 months experience as a medical
assistant/receptionist in a Physician Office, or
- Experience with Microsoft Windows operating system, Beginner to
Intermediate skills in Microsoft Word.
- Experience with scheduling and/or patient records or billing
software such as IDX or SMS is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Basic Knowledge of:
Scheduling and/or patient records or billing software such as IDX
or SMS is preferred
Skills: Beginner to Intermediate level word processing skills and
data entry skills
Skill in use of operating basic office equipment (e.g. copies, fax,
calculator, multi-function telephone)
Maintain confidentiality of records and information.
Understand and follow specific written and verbal instructions and
Organize and manage tasks and activities on daily basis.
Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Command of
basic grammar and spelling skills.
Interact effectively with all patients/families, and members of the
health care team. Focus on customer needs and follow through to
Maintain calendars and schedule appointments utilizing electronic
Create, compose and edit routine written materials.
Work in a fast-paced environment.
Keywords: Connecticut Children's Medical Center, Hartford , Medical Receptionist I - Orthopedics, Full Time, Administration, Clerical , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!