Secondary Teacher In Residence
Company: Achievement First
Posted on: May 16, 2020
Start Date:July 2020
Location:New Haven, Bridgeport, or Hartford
Academic Level: Middle School or High School
About the Role:
We strongly believe that you learn best by doing, receiving support
and guidance, and trying again. As a teacher in residence at
Achievement First, you have a unique opportunity to receive
high-quality training while gradually taking on more teaching
responsibility. The residency, a partnership between Relay Graduate
School of Education(Relay GSE) and Achievement First, is designed
specifically for recent college graduates and career changers who
are looking for an innovative pathway into the teaching profession.
The residency is for those who want to be at the center of this
work, engaging with hard-working students with unlimited potential,
while taking master's-level courses specifically designed to
sharpen pedagogical knowledge. The teaching residency will lead to
a culminating understanding of what it means - and what it takes -
to be an effective classroom teacher. You will become the driver of
high-quality instruction that builds strong content knowledge and a
lifelong love of learning. You will become your students' champion
who believes all students are capable of greatness and achievement
far beyond what society has been conditioned to accept. You will
become a demander of excellence for yourself and your students, the
warm and unyielding classroom presence that encourages and accepts
nothing less than students' best and most thoughtful work. Upon
successful completion of your first year, you will be able to
demonstrate pedagogical mastery and have a clear pathway into a
lead teaching position.
At Achievement First, you will grow as a passionate and constant
learner who thrives on feedback, enjoys regular one-on-one coaching
and nurtures a voracious appetite for professional development. You
will cultivate classroom cultures built on strong structures,
communication and lasting relationships. Every day, you will shake
the hands and contribute to the education of children who will go
on to become first-generation college students and return to our
communities as the next generation of game-changers.
As a Teacher in Residence at Achievement First, your typical week
would include the following, and so much more:
- Observe and co-teach in a Resident Advisor's classroom- a
veteran teacher who serves as your mentor and coach
- Attend weekly Deliberate Practice with fellow Teachers in
Residence across the network to practice and receive feedback on
your execution of an upcoming lesson plan
- Lead Book Club with a group of 3-7 scholars daily
- Grade and analyze exit tickets to determine which scholars need
small group intervention
- Stay after school to moderate a Quiz Bowl competition
Support outstanding academic achievement and student character
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented and structured learning
environment that excites and invests students as they reach their
- Build classroom community and relationships with families,
participating in a powerful team that ensures all students make
outstanding academic progress.
- Support individual students through one-on-one tutoring or
small group instruction
- Support lead teachers in one or more subject with grading,
preparation of class materials and classroom management- taking on
more teaching responsibility throughout the year as
- Assist the lead homeroom teacher in running a structured
homeroom in the morning and serve as an advisor to 5-10
Professional learning, development and growth
- Collaborate with Resident Advisor to evaluate and improve
mastery of instruction, culture building, and leadership
- Attend weekly teacher in residence professional development,
team planning and data analysis meetings, and informal learning and
development opportunities, in support of constant growth.
- Observe high-performing teachers throughout the school
- Complete Deliberate Practice pre-work to sharpen your
pedagogical knowledge prior to practice
Skills and Characteristics
- A commitment to Achievement First's mission, deep love of
content, and an unwavering belief that all students can and will
- Strong instructional and classroom management skills.
- High level of personal organization and planning.
- Team player: maturity, humility, strong work ethic,
follow-through, sense of humor, willingness to respond positively
to feedback and a "roll-up-my-sleeves" attitude.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for subject matter.
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Bachelor's degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 from a competitive
college or university.
Salary for this position is very competitive and commensurate with
experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive
benefits package. Teachers receive funds for supplies and materials
as well as a laptop computer.
To Learn more about AF and Apply
Please apply through Indeed or visit the Achievement First careers
site at www.achievementfirst.org/careers/. Achievement First is an
equal opportunity employer and an organization that values
diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly
encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You
can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here:
Keywords: Achievement First, Hartford , Secondary Teacher In Residence, Education / Teaching , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!