Sr. Director, Process Engineering Personal Insurance Operati
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Sr. Director, Process Engineering Personal Insurance Operational
Effectiveness Job ID: R-5587
Job Category: Operations
Location: Hartford, CT
Posted Date: February 16, 2021
Apply Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it. Target Openings 1
Job Description Summary Lead/participate in high profile process
assessment, improvement and design services to improve overall
business performance, customer experience and employee experience
by identifying impediments to effective and efficient operational
performance. Introduce changes in operational processes and
organizational behaviors that have a positive impact on bottom line
results. Identify opportunities to improve productivity, decrease
costs, increase available capacity, improve accuracy and
timeliness, change behaviors, redesign roles and improve
operational controls. Manage, organize and coordinate project
assignments. Oversee the work of others to ensure assignments are
completed on time. Provide direction and consultation as needed.
Provide technical consulting, generate new ideas, influence
business leaders on the benefits, and assist in their
implementation to achieve recommended results. Consult with
business leaders on Business-wide or Enterprise-wide issues.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Satisfies customer demand and internal business requirements by
leading efforts focused on providing process assessment and
improvement services for the department to improve overall business
performance through redesigned workflows, proper staffing levels,
redefined roles and responsibilities, productive behaviors, and
effective use of technology that have a positive impact on bottom
line results and the customer's experience.
- Collaborates with and advises Senior leaders, Department
leaders and subject matter experts about how to convert ambiguous
requests into specific areas of focus to define the project scope
and optimize the value of the process assessment.
- Determines and develops the overall project framework,
approach, timeline, and resource allocation.
- Leads agile project team and is accountable for project
deliverables. Manages and concurrently functions as an individual
contributor on higher complexity process assessment and improvement
projects. Assigns work and manages the work of others.
- Assesses and identifies opportunities for the most
challenging/most ambiguous aspects of the process.
- Manages and/or collaborates with others on multiple process
assessment and improvement projects.
- Leads and facilitates discovery work sessions with process
participant groups or individuals and their management to
investigate, document and develop a detailed and comprehensive
understanding of the higher complexity aspects of the process and
the underlying embedded behaviors that are influencing
- Synthesizes, associates and assesses significant amounts of
disparate information to identify process issues, their root
causes, how different actions generate different results (cause and
effect), and the collective impact on process efficiency,
effectiveness and the customer's experience for the higher
complexity aspects of the process.
- Applies expert knowledge of Lean Six Sigma process techniques
and methodologies to assess the risks and benefits of different
process improvement opportunities.
- Identifies both strategic and tactical process recommendations
focused on developing a process model that optimizes process
efficiency, effectiveness and the customer's experience for the
higher complexity process issues, along with their anticipated
impact on the process.
- Determines report format and contents. Creates a formal report
(process insights, facts, details, examples, recommendations and
impacts) describing the process and opportunities in a clear/easy
to understand format, so leadership can make more informed
decisions about how to optimize processes.
- Leads and advises Project Engineers, Consultants and Directors
on the identification and formal documentation of process
assessment findings and recommendations.
- Presents the higher complexity process findings,
recommendations and implementation considerations during formal
discussions with senior leaders to influence how they view their
processes. Leads the presentation discussion.
- Meets with requesting area senior leaders to provide periodic
status updates of current project efforts.
- Meets with Manager to review the overall project framework,
approach and timeline; and provide periodic status updates of
- Accountable for business alignment through all phases of the
project, including meeting with leaders within department and
Senior leaders and leaders from the area requesting the
- Provides direction, mentoring, coaching and consultation to
Process Engineers, Consultants and Directors for assigned projects,
focusing on determining whether the appropriate approach,
methodologies, and problem-solving techniques are appropriately
employed. Ensures assigned projects are completed on time.
- Leads area/department initiatives beyond core project
assignments. Minimum Qualifications
- 6 years of experience applying Lean Six Sigma or process
management principles and methods, including root cause
- 4 years of experience managing process improvement projects.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Four year college degree.
- Expert critical thinking skills.
- Solid Knowledge of Property Casualty and services.
- Expert organization, analytic and project management
- Proficient at using Microsoft desktop tools and other
technologies (PowerPoint, Excel, video conferencing, Skype,
- 4 years of relevant business experience in a financial
- Familiarity with Agile methodology
- Experience with Contact & Services Centers preferred Licensing
or Certificates Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Interacts effectively with all levels of management and
- Demonstrated skills and experience:
- Leading project scoping discussions and negotiating with senior
- Collecting process information from individuals via interviews,
observation and/or facilitating large groups.
- Documenting processes via a variety of formats (narrative,
process maps, illustrations, etc.).
- Synthesizing, assessing and analyzing information to surface
process improvement opportunities.
- Thinking critically to connect disparate information.
- Thinking creatively to identify both strategic and tactical
- Identifying both qualitative and quantitative impacts of
- Making effective and persuasive oral and written presentations
to influence others.
- Works independently with infrequent/limited supervision.
- Works collaboratively with others in a project team
- Builds and maintains strong and ongoing business relationships
with project participants, leaders, including Senior leaders and
Department leaders, which fosters connections and
- Leads higher complexity process assessment and improvement
- Manages own work and directs the work of others.
- Demonstrates decisiveness, initiative, innovation in achieving
results and the ability to meet project deadlines.
- Coaches, mentors, develops and reviews the work of Process
Engineers, Consultants, Directors and rotation staff.
- Responds quickly and effectively to customer's needs and takes
appropriate actions to meet those needs.
- Demonstrates a high commitment to providing superior services
and adding significant value. Environmental / Work Schedules /
- Travel Requirements: Travel Occasionally Employment Practices
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
differences.-- If you have questions regarding the physical
requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist
you. Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level
above or below the level included in this posting. Careers at
Travelers When you work at Travelers, life's most important moments
become your life's work. That means helping families feel secure,
businesses to prosper, knowing that you've made a difference, and
feeling like you belong to something bigger. It also means being
part of a team comprised of 30,000 + talented and passionate people
that are evolving to meet changing needs - from customer service to
data science and beyond. If that's more than you imagined in an
insurance career, it's time to join us at Travelers.
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , Sr. Director, Process Engineering Personal Insurance Operati, Engineering , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!