Lead Director - Business Performance Analytics
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: April 3, 2021
Lead Director - Business Performance Analytics Job ID:
Job Category: Analytics & Research
Location: Hartford, CT
Additional Locations: Saint Paul, MN, Nationwide
Posted Date: January 7, 2021
Apply Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it. Target Openings 1
Job Description Summary This position will lead the Rapid Response
Business Intelligence team, and will be responsible for execution
and delivery of critical analytics and insights requests across
Business Insurance. This position will have direct reports. The
person will act as the Engagement Lead and Product owner of the
team. They will partner with the Engagement Leads across
Information Management & Analytics to provide the Rapid Response
service across customer groups. The incumbent will provide
leadership thought to managing work intake, prioritizing backlogs
and driving delivery of requests to all customers in a timely
fashion. They will also be responsible for the execution of any
development of assets, support of business test & learns and data
discovery work. Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Uses analytics to explain business results, monitor business
strategies and identify actionable opportunities.
- Uses data visualization and storytelling skills to effectively
communicate insights and influence decision/outcomes to Sr.
- Leverages industry best practices, market data and technology
trends to identify and implement business opportunities.
- Proactively coordinates with cross functional teams on varying
- Influences business strategy to leadership to prioritizes
investments based on translating insights to business value.
- Facilitates collaboration with IT and data management teams to
ensure correct data is consistent for business critical
- Leads strategic business partnerships with IT, Actuarial,
Operations, Finance, Data Management and Claim functional
- Manipulates complex raw data and leads the ultimate design
required to meet business requests.
- Responsible for business analytics support across multiple
- Interprets complex data to recognize patterns and analyze
- Directs the completion of reasonability and validation
- Oversees the design and ensures the execution Proofs of Concept
to inform business strategies.
- Monitors performance indicators and implements possible
- Communicates the financial impact of recommendations.
- Interprets model results and identifies when to apply them.
- Bachelor's degree and 5 years analytics experience
- One year of technical team project leadership or people
management required. Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, finance, computer science,
statistics, MIS or equivalent experience preferred.
- Typically has 6 or more years of experience in Descriptive
Analytics or related field.
- 5+ years working successfully with Microsoft office products
and software/programming applications specific to business
- Thorough knowledge of tools such as SAS, R, SQL preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of Descriptive Analytic practices and
processes. General knowledge of insurance products/concepts
- One or more years of technical team project leadership or
people management experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of the main features of the collection of
data and the relationship of data elements to each other. Job
Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous
manner and adjusts communication based on audience.
- Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team
members - including active listening and effective written and
verbal communication skills.
- Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate
team and leadership.
- Able to expertly diagnose root causes, solve complex problems,
and collaborate effectively with business and technical teams.
- Able to break a problem down into manageable pieces, evaluate
potential risks/alternatives, and implement effective, timely
- Able to promote, maintain, and enhance partnerships across the
organization to achieve objectives and engage stakeholders.
- Able to influence project stakeholders and team members.
- Practices objectivity and openness to others' views. Able to
recognize and support team priorities.
- Demonstrates ability to identify critical project tasks and
establish clear priorities while keeping the overall strategy in
- Demonstrates ability to understand relevant costs associated
with assigned project work.
- Able to set team's technical direction.
- Accountable for providing feedback and/or coaching.
- Strong influencer and/or consulting skills; able to build
consensus among a diverse group of enterprise-wide stakeholders.
Employment Practices Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We
value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to
our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways
from our differences.-- If you have questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you. Travelers reserves the right to fill this position
at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
Careers at Travelers When you work at Travelers, life's most
important moments become your life's work. That means helping
families feel secure, businesses to prosper, knowing that you've
made a difference, and feeling like you belong to something bigger.
It also means being part of a team comprised of 30,000 + talented
and passionate people that are evolving to meet changing needs -
from customer service to data science and beyond. If that's more
than you imagined in an insurance career, it's time to join us at
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , Lead Director - Business Performance Analytics, Executive , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!