Director, Employee Relations
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: April 8, 2021
Job ID: R-6627
Job Category: Human Resources
Location: Hartford, CT
Additional Locations: Nationwide
Posted Date: March 31, 2021
Apply Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it. Target Openings 1
Job Description Summary This position assists in providing
leadership and company-wide direction on policies, programs and
initiatives in support of business objectives and mitigation of
company exposure. Working in partnership with the Human Resources
management community and in collaboration with allied functional
areas, implements solutions on critical Employee Relations issues.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists in coordinating support of customer base through
effective management of Employee Relations resources in the
delivery of services.
- In partnership with legal, pro-actively assists in developing
Employment Relations policies for the enterprise and appropriately
trains and communicates policies to HR and managers as
- Provides consultation on relevant state and federal employment
legislation, complex employee relations issues, performance
management, and critical incident management.
- Investigates complaints or allegations of high complexity
including, but not limited to, allegations of discrimination,
harassment, retaliation, ethics violations, hostile work
environment, unfair treatment and violation of company policies
(many investigations are conducted under privilege).
- Acts as an integral liaison between the legal area and the HR
generalist community on employment relations matters.
- Manages workforce reductions through the Staff Adjustment
- Identifies employment law and workplace trends (internally and
externally), and designs training programs on relevant topics.
- Collaborates with business partners across functional areas in
support of interdepartmental initiatives and issues of company
- Leads and/or participates in projects supporting Employee
Relations, Human Resources, other functions/departments, and the
company. Minimum Qualifications
- College Degree in related course of study. Education, Work
Experience, & Knowledge
- Law degree or Master's degree preferred.
- Seasoned employee relations professional with eight or more
years of experience with a heavy emphasis on delivery of employee
- Solid experience in investigating employee disputes,
grievances, charges, etc. with specialized knowledge of employee
- Demonstrated, collaborative work style, strong analytical and
- Knowledge of, or experience in HR generalist role helpful.
- Knowledge of financial services industry helpful.
- Strong consulting and influencing skills. Job Specific
Technical Skills & Competencies
- Some travel (approximately 10%) required. Employment Practices
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
differences.-- If you have questions regarding the physical
requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist
you. Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level
above or below the level included in this posting. Careers at
Travelers When you work at Travelers, life's most important moments
become your life's work. That means helping families feel secure,
businesses to prosper, knowing that you've made a difference, and
feeling like you belong to something bigger. It also means being
part of a team comprised of 30,000 + talented and passionate people
that are evolving to meet changing needs - from customer service to
data science and beyond. If that's more than you imagined in an
insurance career, it's time to join us at Travelers.
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , Director, Employee Relations, Executive , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!