Director, Actuarial & Analytics - Loss Analytics & Reserving
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: April 9, 2021
Director, Actuarial & Analytics - Loss Analytics & Reserving Job
Job Category: Actuarial
Location: Hartford, CT
Additional Locations: Hunt Valley, MD, Saint Paul, MN,
Posted Date: March 12, 2021
Apply Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it. Target Openings 1
Job Description Summary The Director, Business Insurance Workers
Comp (WC) Loss Analytics position is a role responsible for
supporting the WC reserving and loss analysis function within
Business Insurance. This role will have responsibility for
performing reserving and loss analysis across the WC unit while
reporting into the Unbundled team. The individual in this position
will also support the continued enhancement of technical
capabilities within the team through leveraging and evaluating
advanced analytic tools. By playing a key role in understanding the
drivers of WC loss content, this position will help drive
profitable business growth. The Director, Actuarial and Analytics
will work within broad limits and authority on complex assignments
requiring specialized knowledge and expertise in breadth and/or
depth in one or more of the following areas: --- Loss Reserving
methods and process
--- Advanced statistical analyses
--- In-depth WC knowledge
--- Understanding of claim handling processes and its influences on
--- Broad business knowledge
--- Broader awareness of enterprise Actuarial & Analytics community
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Assess, prioritize, influence and communicate strategic
initiative options to senior leaders
- Demonstrate effective execution and completion of assigned
strategic initiatives and projects
- Regularly generate process improvements and explore
opportunities for innovation
- Lead assigned unit strategic initiatives (narrow scope, limited
and well defined) and cross-unit initiatives on a limited basis and
is expected to participate in Enterprise initiatives on a limited
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve
business problems and apply judgment appropriately
- Drive day to day execution within unit. Support broad
- Promote efficiency across primary working group, balancing
additional effort against incremental lift gained from work
- Begin to make decisions independently in accordance with
- Provide direction and review others' analytical work
- Translate business requests into analytical solutions
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the
Enterprise within the scope of influence Communication
- Communicates on a regular basis with staff, peers and business
partners and on an occasional basis with senior leaders
- Tailors communication of analysis, project results, and other
business initiatives to audience
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audiences with
- Leads group discussions with primary working group
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or
presentations with limited guidance
- Able to influence and collaborate with peers and partners to
take actions to enhance business outcomes Talent
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit
- Support various training and skill development initiatives
across Segment and the Enterprise
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent
assessment efforts Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience performing quantitative
analysis required. Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- 7+ years of quantitative analysis experience.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and
- Excellent communication, collaboration and
- Ability to present and translate complex information in
relevant business terms.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL,
SAS). Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Begins to challenge conventional thinking.
- Takes ownership of projects related to strategic initiatives
and makes recommendations to influence business outcomes.
- Proficient in Leading Self, exhibiting decisiveness and
self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Initial development of Leading Others, including modeling the
way for others and effectively leading team projects.
- Initial development of Leading the Business, including actively
engaging in driving business results, broad thinking and promoting
an Enterprise culture.
- Business Acumen:
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of certain key
business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products,
reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim,
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in
developing and implementing analytic solutions.
- Has a general perspective of the industry and developing
trends, including: technology, analytic methodology, products, and
performance of competitors.
- Is familiar with other key business drivers and
- Relationship Management:
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships
across the Enterprise.
- Generate and solicit ideas, and build consensus
- Aware of potential conflict and address proactively.
- Acknowledge accomplishments of others within your primary
- Set and manage expectations with business partners for large
- Understand diverse perspectives to effectively accomplish
- Quantitative Analysis:
- Able to introduce innovative techniques to existing
- Independently perform and implement complex analytics.
- Leads and actively engages in technical/peer reviews.
- May offer technical consultative feedback.
- Can assess various technical solutions to optimize analytical
outcomes. Employment Practices Travelers is an equal opportunity
employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual
brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in
numerous ways from our differences.-- If you have questions
regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an
email so we may assist you. Travelers reserves the right to fill
this position at a level above or below the level included in this
posting. Careers at Travelers When you work at Travelers, life's
most important moments become your life's work. That means helping
families feel secure, businesses to prosper, knowing that you've
made a difference, and feeling like you belong to something bigger.
It also means being part of a team comprised of 30,000 + talented
and passionate people that are evolving to meet changing needs -
from customer service to data science and beyond. If that's more
than you imagined in an insurance career, it's time to join us at
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , Director, Actuarial & Analytics - Loss Analytics & Reserving, Executive , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!