Director, Human Resources - Field
Company: Travelers Canada
Posted on: January 10, 2022
Company SummaryTaking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Job CategoryHuman ResourcesTarget Openings1Job Description
SummaryUnder the direction of a HR RVP/Lead Generalist, drives
results for all human resource efforts for assigned customers.
Participates in the development of human resources policies and
programs by partnering with employee relations, compensation and
other specialist functions. Directs all human resource activities
within the customer group. Provides a high level of coaching and
counseling to management and employees in order to enhance
individual contributions. Works in partnership with HR RVP to
develop strategy and drive initiatives that have a
region/countrywide impact. May manage/mentor less experience
generalists/Human Resources managers which will include providing
performance feedback, coaching, and development. Requires minimal
HR RVP/Lead Generalist oversight.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
support flexibility. #LI-HybridPrimary Job Duties &
- Partners with HR RVP /Lead Generalist and field business
partners to make compensation decisions (e.g. base pay, incentive
equity grants) which drive business results and support our pay for
- Working with HR RVP/Lead Generalist, ensures the communication
and execution of our compensation philosophy.Organization
- Administers and communicates HR policies and programs with
- Ensures that human resources services delivered directly or
indirectly are necessary, cost effective and in support of the
- May lead the human resources planning effort within the
customer groups to ensure that there are adequate numbers of
trained staff to accomplish business objectives and that
appropriate human resource systems are in place to select, reward,
train and motivate staff. Encourages progressive management and
leadership characteristics and empowered staff by providing needed
- Develops an effective partnership with line business clients
through consultation on human resources strategic and operational
issues as related to the business plan.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state and local laws that
impact HR; responds to government and employee inquiries or
complaints, coordinates their resolution.
- In conjunction with other human resources staff, participates
in the development of necessary policies and practices to ensure
that they are consistent with overall corporate direction and in
support of customer group plans.
- Consults on organizations effectiveness to include
re-engineering, management/employee development, workflow
efficiencies and organizational change.
- Assists management with cultural change issues.
- May participate in functional initiatives, e.g. College
Relations, Phased Retirement, having an Enterprise
- Provides advice and guidance on employee relations' issues,
progressive discipline and documentation requirements to
- Develops interventions (proactive and reactive) that support
employee relations and organizational effectiveness. Drives
- Provides consultative support in the development and
administration of Affirmative Action Programs, responding to
discrimination complaints or charges, and coordinates their
- In partnership with HR RVP/Lead Generalist and Employee
Relations Representative track and assess employee relations
activity in Region or assigned territory. Develop action plans as
necessary to address trends/issues.Minimum Qualifications
- Minimum of five years related work experience, with experience
in a generalist role.
- Broad knowledge of human resources including organization
development, employee relations, performance management,
compensation and talent acquisition.Education, Work Experience, &
- Seasoned human resource professional, typically with eight or
more years of experience with most experience preferred in a
- College degree in Human Resources, Industrial Relations,
business or other related course of study.Job Specific Technical
Skills & CompetenciesEmployee Development/Talent Management:
- May execute the human resources planning effort with the
customer groups to ensure that there are adequate numbers of
trained staff to accomplish business objectives.
- Counsels management on HR policies, staff career development,
succession planning and other topics in support of business
- May drive/lead orientation process for new HR Managers.
- May manage/mentor less experienced generalists/HR Managers
which may include providing performance feedback, coaching and
development.Staffing and Recruitment:
- Ensures that appropriate human resource systems are in place to
select, reward, train and motivate staff.
- Stays current and is award of social, economic and other trends
that may affect the business or the direction of human resources
policies and programs.
- May assist in the recruitment, hiring and on boarding of new HR
- May work with Talent Acquisition resources to establish
strategy and ensure best uses of resources.Training and
- Designs, develops and delivers HR related training to business
partners, i.e.: Performance Management, Sexual Harassment, Managing
a Diverse Workforce, etc.
- Provides facilitation of meetings as required, such as
assimilations, developing team values, operating principles,
- May facilitate Enterprise Leadership & Development courses,
e.g. Leading People, Leading Teams.Work Experience:
- Seasoned human resource professional who generally will have
15+ years or more of broad based generalist experience. Previous
management experience a plus.Other:
- Extensive and demonstrated knowledge of human resources
including organization development, employee relations, litigation
management and avoidance. Demonstrated Knowledge of functional
areas-compensation, benefits, training and development and
- Experience and proficient in PeopleSoft, Microsoft tools, and
other HRIS systems Knowledge of property casualty
required.Employment PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity
employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual
brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in
numerous ways from our differences. -
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting. To learn more about
our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
- Travelers has 30,000 employees in the United States, Canada,
the United Kingdom, Ireland and Brazil. > > Explore life at
- We have 8 diversity networks, employee-led organizations
dedicated to fostering the development and success of our
employees. > > Discover diversity and inclusion .
- Employees and their eligible family members - including
spouses, domestic partners and children - are eligible for coverage
from the first day of employment. > > Explore benefits .
- Travelers has been recognized by organizations such as Forbes,
Human Rights Campaign Foundation, and Military Times. > >
Read more about recognition .
- Our employees are valuable assets to their hometowns, giving
more than 100,000 hours of their time toward important causes each
year. > > Learn about community involvement .
Keywords: Travelers Canada, Hartford , Director, Human Resources - Field, Executive , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!