Sr Manager, Actuarial & Analytics : BI Loss Analytics & Reserving - Work Comp
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: May 11, 2022
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a
nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries
for this role across the country. The actual salary for this
position will be determined by a number of factors, including the
scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education,
training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other
conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation
and benefits program, employees are also eligible for
performance-based cash incentive awards.
$108,600.00 - $179,100.00
What Is the Opportunity?
In Business Insurance Actuarial and Analytics (BIAA), we deliver
tailored analytics and innovative data science solutions that
influence decisions and enable superior results. We have an
inclusive culture where everyone feels that they belong, can be
authentic, are valued, respected, empowered and part of our
success. We see strength in the uniqueness that each of us
contributes to creating innovative solutions and improving business
Loss Analytics & Reserving seeks an experienced actuarial
professional to join the Workers Compensation team. The highly
motivated individual will drive execution of quarterly reserving
reviews for multiple business units, improve existing processes,
and develop analyses that increase Travelers' insight into our
Workers Comp book. Additionally, the position will lead or support
broader strategic initiatives. The person who fills the role will
partner closely with Claim and Business Unit actuaries to arrive at
actuarially sound IBNR, with the goal of effectively influencing
business unit leadership in making data driven decisions.
The Sr. Manager, Actuarial and Analytics is an analytic leadership
role that encompasses the management of assigned strategic
initiatives and operational assignments which may include
reserving, rate-making, pricing, planning/forecasting, project
management and research. The individual in this role is expected to
lead project teams of actuarial & analytic partners and provide
analytical insights and recommendations to leadership and Business
partners. The Sr. Manager, Actuarial and Analytics will work within
broad limits and authority on complex assignments requiring
specialized knowledge and expertise in breadth and/or depth in one
or more of the following areas: Actuarial and/or research methods,
Advanced statistical analyses, Broad business knowledge, In-depth
Line of Business knowledge, and Awareness of enterprise Actuarial &
Analytics community. This role may act as a manager of a small
What Will You Do?
- Hold a lead role in strategic planning as well as manage the
successful execution and completion of assigned strategic
initiatives and projects.
- Develop solutions to resolve challenges of an initiative.
- Propose change and innovation in order to improve project team
performance and timelines.
- This position will often participate on cross-unit initiatives
and may participate on Enterprise initiatives.Operational:
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve
business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Drive day to day execution within unit. Support broad
- Begin to promote efficiency across primary working group,
balancing additional effort against incremental lift gained from
- Begin to make decisions independently in accordance with
- Begin to provide direction and review others' analytical
- Begin to translate business requests into analytical
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the
Enterprise within the scope of influence.Communication:
- Communicates analysis, project results, and other business
initiatives on a regular basis to staff, peers, and business
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audience with
guidance from manager.
- Actively participates and may lead group discussions.
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or
presentations with guidance.
- Networks and collaborates on ideas and challenges.Talent:
- Staff responsibilities may include direct management of 1 to 2
individual contributors or interns.
- Acquisition, retention, and development of talent for assigned
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including
performance and personal development goals.
- Talent assessment recommendations.
- Performance management.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives
across assigned Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent
- Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL,
- 5+ years of quantitative analysis experience preferred.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and
- Management experience preferred.Leadership:
- Take ownership of projects including initiating the project,
drawing up the project plan, carrying out the action items and make
- Proficient in Leading Self, exhibiting decisiveness and
self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Initial development of Leading Others, including modeling the
way for others and leading team projects.
- Initial development of Leading the Business, including actively
engaging in driving business results, broad thinking and promoting
an Enterprise culture.Business Acumen:
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of a few key
business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products,
reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim,
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in
developing analytic solutions.
- Has a general perspective of certain areas of the industry and
developing trends such as: technology, analytic methodology,
products and performance of competitors.
- Begins to be familiar with other key business drivers and
discipline areas as well.Relationship Management:
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships
across the BI&AA community across the Enterprise.
- Generate and solicit ideas, and build consensus with
- Aware of potential conflict and addresses with limited
- Begin to acknowledge accomplishments of others within your
primary working group.
- Set and manage expectations with business partners for small
- Evaluate and use appropriate data, tools and methods.
- Independently perform and implement analytics.
- May engage in technical/peer review.
- Begin to design and able to contribute on more complex analytic
- Begin to understand diverse perspectives to effectively
accomplish business goals.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 3 years of experience in quantitative analysis required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised
of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
support flexibility. #LI-Hybrid
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , Sr Manager, Actuarial & Analytics : BI Loss Analytics & Reserving - Work Comp, Executive , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!