Sr. Director, Actuarial and Analytics
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: May 13, 2022
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a
nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries
for this role across the country. The actual salary for this
position will be determined by a number of factors, including the
scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education,
training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other
conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation
and benefits program, employees are also eligible for
performance-based cash incentive awards.
$129,600.00 - $213,800.00
What Is the Opportunity?
In Business Insurance Actuarial and Analytics, we deliver tailored
analytics and innovative data science solutions that influence
decisions and enable superior results. We have an inclusive culture
where everyone feels that they belong, can be authentic, are
valued, respected, empowered and part of our success. We see
strength in the uniqueness that each of us contributes to creating
innovative solutions and improving business outcomes.
We are seeking an experienced professional who is excited and
driven to modernize our Business Insurance Liability rating plans,
platforms, and processes. As a Senior Director, you will lead our
GL, Cyber, and Professional rating team, while also providing
support to Umbrella rating initiatives. You'll use your strong
communication, advocacy, and influencing skills as you generate
creative solutions and build consensus in a cross-functional
environment. Collaboration will be essential as you work in close
partnership with our colleagues in the BI Product, Business Unit
actuarial and underwriting, regulatory and filings, data delivery,
and other Actuarial Product teams. Current key initiatives include
GL and Cyber rating plan modernization and consolidation,
streamlining GL rating and disruption processes using
forward-looking technology, migrating GL rating support out of
standalone Excel tools and into strategic rating systems, and
providing actuarial analysis and support to our GL and Cyber rate
filings. Prior experience supporting rating plans and/or pricing
analytics is a plus. This is a leadership role with a small team of
experienced direct reports.
What Will You Do?
Responsibilities specific to this role include:
- Lead actuarial support of GL and Cyber recurring rate filings,
including disruption analysis
- Streamline and modernize rating and disruption processes and
tools using forward-looking technology
- Be a strong voice and advocate in driving changes and
enhancements to rating processes, in collaboration with business
- Lead and coordinate quarterly GL/Umbrella/Professional Line
- Provide ancillary support to rate adequacy analyses across
various Liability lines and Business Units
- Serve as a primary liaison with our external GL rating partners
including Verisk/ISO. Prepare for anticipated changes to ISO GL
- Participate in discussions regarding line management
- Respond to field questions and provide direction to end users
regarding GL and Cyber rating plans and tools
- Execute directed strategy, recommend and influence strategy,
and provide analyses to improve profitability
- Challenge conventional thinking
- Generate and solicit ideas to build consensus
- Introduce innovative techniques to solve business problems,
leveraging experience in forward-looking technologies and
- Lead and actively engage in technical peer reviews
- Partner with BI Product, Product Value Stream, Business Unit
actuarial and underwriting, regulatory and filings, data delivery,
and other Actuarial Product teams to support the needs of the
- Influence colleagues in other areas as we work in partnership
on Line Management
- Manage and develop two direct reports in support of the above
General Expectations of all Sr. Directors, Actuarial &
- Assess, prioritize, influence and communicate strategic
initiative options to senior leaders.
- Demonstrate effective execution and completion of assigned
strategic initiatives and projects.
- Generate and advocate for process improvements and actively
propel innovation in alignment with existing strategy.
- This position will lead assigned unit strategic initiatives and
cross-unit initiatives and is expected to participate in Enterprise
initiatives on a limited basis.
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve
business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Drive day to day execution within unit. Begin to drive broad
- Promote efficiency across primary working group, balancing
additional effort against incremental lift gained from work.
- Make decisions independently in accordance with department
- Consistently provide direction and review others' analytical
- Translate business requests into analytical solutions.
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the
Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicate on a regular basis with staff, peers and business
partners and on an occasional basis with senior leaders.
- Tailor communication of analysis, project results, and other
business initiatives to audience.
- Communicate technical topics to non-technical audiences.
- Lead group discussions with primary working group.
- Create formal written communication such as memos or
- Influence and collaborate with peers and partners to take
actions to enhance business outcomes.
- Staff responsibilities include direct management of a small
team of individual contributors.
- Acquisition, retention, and development of talent for assigned
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including
performance and personal development goals.
- Succession planning and talent assessment recommendations.
- Performance management.
- Support staff engagement in cross-Enterprise initiatives.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives
across segment and the Enterprise.
- Support recruiting efforts and candidate talent assessment
- Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- 8+ years of quantitative analysis experience.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and
- Leadership experience.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and
translate complex information to leadership and non-technical
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL,
- Begins to challenge conventional thinking.
- Takes ownership of projects related to strategic initiatives
and often makes independent recommendations to influence business
- Proficient in Leading Self including exhibiting decisiveness
and self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Development of Leading Others including modeling the way for
others and leading cross-unit projects.
- Initial development of Leading the Business including actively
engaging in driving business results, broad thinking and promoting
an Enterprise culture.
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of certain key
business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products,
reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim,
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in
developing and implementing analytic solutions.
- Has perspective on the industry and developing trends,
including: technology, analytic methodology, products, and
performance of competitors.
- Is familiar with most other key business drivers and
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships
across the Enterprise.
- Generate and solicit ideas, and drive consensus
- Aware of potential conflict and address proactively.
- Acknowledge accomplishments of others to broader
- Set and manage expectations with business partners for
portfolio of projects.
- Understand diverse perspectives to effectively accomplish
- Able to introduce innovative techniques to both new and
- Independently perform and implement complex analytics.
- Leads and actively engages in technical/peer reviews.
- Regularly offers technical consultative feedback.
- Can assess various technical solutions to optimize analytical
- Occasionally recognizes emerging issues that require a
quantitative solution within own portfolio of work.
What is a Must Have?
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 5 years of comprehensive quantitative analysis experience
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised
of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
support flexibility. #LI-Hybrid
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , Sr. Director, Actuarial and Analytics, Executive , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!