Manager, Portfolio Management Business Analytics
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: May 17, 2022
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Analytics & Research, Bus Intelligence & Management Information,
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a
nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries
for this role across the country. The actual salary for this
position will be determined by a number of factors, including the
scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education,
training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other
conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation
and benefits program, employees are also eligible for
performance-based cash incentive awards.
$95,000.00 - $156,700.00
What Is the Opportunity?
The demand for analytic insights across our business is high and
growing rapidly. These insights, coupled with our analytical
talent, are the "fuel" that inform critical business decisions that
differentiate our execution in the marketplace. The Manager,
Portfolio Management Business Analytics is an analytic leadership
role that encompasses the shared responsibility of project and
strategic execution on the Portfolio Management Business Analytics
team in Small Commercial. The individual in this role is expected
to have a high level of partnership with Business partners, such as
Product Management, and an influential member of project teams,
providing analytical insights and recommendations to leadership and
Business partners delivering analytically driven insights to the
This new role on the Small Commercial Business Analytics team will
be focused on analysis of Small Commercial business initiatives
such as impact analysis and post monitoring; completing analysis to
help the business understand causal inferences from statistically
valid test and learn designs, and applying other analytic methods
needed for answering business questions. Our ideal candidate is a
driven, analytical individual who will thrive in applying
statistical methods to post monitor business initiatives and
influence business decision making.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in a lead role in the successful execution and
completion of assigned strategic initiatives and projects.
- Develop solutions to resolve challenges of an initiative.
- Propose change and innovation in order to improve project team
performance and timelines.
- This position will often participate on cross-unit initiatives
and may participate on Enterprise initiatives.
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve
business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Support and drive components of unit initiatives. Begin to
support broad department initiatives.
- Take accountability for process efficiencies within
- Begin to make proposals in accordance with department
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the
Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicates analysis, project results, and other business
initiatives to peers and business partners.
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audience within
the primary working group with guidance from manager.
- Actively participates and may lead group discussions at the
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or
presentations with guidance and peer review.
- Networks and collaborates on ideas and challenges.
- Retention and development of assigned staff.
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including
performance and personal development goals.
- Talent assessment recommendations.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives
across assigned Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent
assessment efforts.Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience required.
- 2 years of experience in quantitative analysis required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College degree in STEM related field.
- 4+ years of quantitative analysis experience preferred.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in quantitative analysis and statistical
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office)
- Experience with modern data visualization tools. These may
include, but are not limited to Qlik, MicroStrategy, and
- Experience with coding and industry standard statistical
languages. These may include, but are not limited to SQL, R,
Python, and SAS.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Take ownership of assigned projects and meetings, make
recommendations and presents results to business partners.
- Proficient in Leading Self, exhibiting self-awareness while
also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Initial development of Leading Others, including
mentoring/training team members.
- Initial development of Leading the Business, including actively
supporting business goals and being a positive member of the
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of a few basic
business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products,
reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim,
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in
developing analytic solutions.
- Has a foundational perspective of the primary industry and
developing trends such as: technology, analytic methodology,
products and performance of competitors.
- Is familiar with a couple other key business drivers and
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships
across the BI&AA community across the Enterprise.
- Generate and solicit ideas, and begin to build consensus with
- Aware of potential conflict and begins to addresses with
- Begin to set and manage expectations with business partners for
- Quantitative Analysis:
- Evaluate and use appropriate data, tools and methods.
- Able to perform analytics independently, can effectively plan
next steps within analyses with little oversight.
- May perform technical review of team work product.
- Able to contribute on more complex analytical work with
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , Manager, Portfolio Management Business Analytics, Executive , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!