Senior Director & Data Scientist - GL Pricing Lead
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Who Are We?Taking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Compensation OverviewThe annual base salary range provided for
this position is a nationwide market range and represents a broad
range of salaries for this role across the country. The actual
salary for this position will be determined by a number of factors,
including the scope, complexity and location of the role; the
skills, education, training, credentials and experience of the
candidate; and other conditions of employment. As part of our
comprehensive compensation and benefits program, employees are also
eligible for performance-based cash incentive awards.Salary
Range$146,200.00 - $241,200.00Target Openings1What Is the
Opportunity?Travelers Data Scientists are taking the organization
to the next level of intelligence by using advanced statistical
techniques and machine learning algorithms. As a Sr. Director &
Data Scientist, you will lead a team responsible for challenging
conventional thinking and use data to communicate insights and tell
the story to business and analytics leadership. You will also
collaborate with technology partners to drive analytics out to our
products in the marketplace, giving Travelers a competitive
In Business Insurance Actuarial and Analytics, we deliver tailored
analytics and innovative data science solutions that influence
decisions and enable superior results. We have an inclusive culture
where everyone feels that they belong, can be authentic, are
valued, respected, empowered and part of our success. We see
strength in the uniqueness that each of us contributes to creating
innovative solutions and improving business outcomes.
Business Insurance Analytics & Research has an open Senior Director
position leading the General Liability (GL) Modeling Team. The
Senior Director will drive enhancements to pricing segmentation for
Travelers GL products across Middle Markets, as well as provide
pricing model support for Inland Marine and analytics support for
Risk Control. This role offers opportunities to lead improvements
to our pricing models through advancements in data and modeling
techniques while collaborating with business partners in support of
product strategy. Experience with insurance pricing models and/or
GL products is a plus.What Will You Do?
- Communicate analysis, insights, and results to team, peers,
business partners, and on an occasional basis to executive level
- Anticipate potential objections and influence senior leaders to
adopt a different point of view.
- Lead a team of managers and individual contributors that are
executing on multiple projects and activities.
- Partner with teams and leaders to ensure the successful
execution of data science strategies.
- Set and manage expectations with business partners for
portfolio of work.
- Generate ideas and drives consensus; is aware of potential
- Make suggestions in the development of business plans for the
- Broadly and frequently share expertise with the business and/or
data science community through discussions, presentations, or peer
reviews to improve business outcomes.
- Assist with recruiting, training, and talent assessment
- Provide guidance and coaching and drive career/technical
development for team members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate
- Masters in STEM related field or equivalent
- 10 or more years of related work experience, including 6 or
more years of team leadership experience.
- Industry expertise in modeling/ research/ analytics or
- Industry level knowledge of value creation and business model
- Regularly interacts with executives and/or major customers
using negotiating and/or influencing skills.
- Subject matter expertise in the majority of external software
- Ability to apply emerging statistical procedures to large
highly complex work.
- Recognized industry expertise in 2-3 of the following:
Regression, Classification, Machine Vision, Natural Language
Processing, Deep Learning and Statistical modeling.What is a Must
- Master's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Sciences,
Actuarial Science or related analytical STEM field plus six years
of experience or any suitable and equivalent combination of
education and work experience.
- Heavy concentration in mathematics, including statistics and
programming, business intelligence/analytics, as well as data
science tools and research using large data sets. Additional
verification of specific coursework will be required.What Is in It
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised
of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.Employment
PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the
unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our
organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.To learn more about our
comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , Senior Director & Data Scientist - GL Pricing Lead, Executive , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!