Director of Communications & Develop
Company: Mercy Housing & Shelter Corp
Posted on: January 24, 2023
Job Title: Director of Development Department: Development
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer FLSA Status: Exempt PHI Access
Code Level 1 Job Summary: Plans, organizes, and directs all aspects
of Communications & Development, implements media relations and
agency communications as directed by CEO. Responsibilities include
community outreach through press releases, newsletter, website
updates and social media networks, marketing assistance through
clients and donor collateral materials, and development assistance
through overseeing major gifts. She/he works closely with and
actively assists the CEO and Board of Directors to create an annual
Fundraising Plan. Assure timely cultivation, solicitation,
follow-up, tracks new and current prospects and donors. Analyze
donor reports and lead strategy meetings to help track, cultivate
and steward donors. Create and maintain relationships with policy
makers and advocate for support of Community Housing Advocates,
Mercy's and My Sisters' Places' missions. Secures funding along
with resources for the annual campaign, gala/special events,
in-kind donations, develops civic leadership and community support
for programs, in addition to any special project funding, as
determined by the CEO. Duties/Responsibilities:
- Develop an annual fundraising and marketing plan, in
cooperation with the CEO and CFO, to successfully raise the needed
annual operating funds and to raise the Agency's visibility in the
- Conduct an annual fundraising campaign that includes
cultivation events, direct mail appeals, special events, speaking
engagements and expansion of the donor base.
- Develop fundraising campaign materials.
- Keep updated records of funding sources of
Development-initiated programs. Manage the donor database.
- Keep updated files of new funding sources.
- Develop and manage relations with a broad variety of media
- Collaborate with the CEO to plan the development of proposals
to corporations and private foundations for new and ongoing
- Collaborate with CEO regarding external communications, public
relations information, etc.
- Develop and maintain relations with elected leaders to fulfill
- Produce agency publications, including newsletter, brochures,
- Manage and maintain the Agency website.
- Act as a resource person for the CEO and program
- Work closely with the volunteer coordination program, maximize
its effort and resolve problems that may arise.
- Implement agency Policy and Procedures as appropriate.
- Staff the Board Development Committee.
- Supervises the Development Team
- Perform any other task that will assist the agency in carrying
out its mission. Required Skills/Abilities:
- Analytical - Analyze complex information; collects and research
- Business Acumen - demonstrates orientation to profitability;
understands implications of business decisions; displays an
understanding of the market and competition.
- Strategic Thinking - Understands the agency's strengths and
weaknesses; identifies agency's threats and opportunities; meets
challenges with resourcefulness.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems with
creative solutions; uses reasoning and works well in a group to
- Customer Service - Maintains a customer service approach to
work; promptly responds to inquiries and requests; solicits
- Communication - Strong written and oral communication skills;
ability to clearly communication information.
- Change Management - develops manageable implementation plans;
clearly communication changes
- Planning - organizes, prioritizes, and plans work activities;
uses time efficiently; sets goals, identifies resources, and
executes work activities.
- Professionalism - is dependable; timely; keeps commitments;
maintains professional communication; takes initiative. Supervisory
- This individual will supervise three staff members that
comprise the Development Team. Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university
and appropriate work experience required; an extensive background
in fundraising, public relations and print media preferred.
- Candidate must be able to work flexible hours.
- Candidate must have the ability to present information
effectively to top management, public groups, and/or boards of
- Must have the ability to respond to common inquiries or
complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the
- Must be proficient in Razor's Edge or other fundraising
- Proficiency with database program, Microsoft Office Suite, and
Raiser's Edge software; database and website management required.
Licenses and Certifications
- Must have valid Connecticut driver's license and clean driving
record with proof of automobile insurance.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination required. Compensation & Benefits
- $85,000+ based on experience, plus generous incentive
- Community Housing Advocates provides a generous employee
benefits package, including medical, dental, retirement, short- and
long-term disability, and tuition reimbursement. Full-time
employees receive days of PTO (paid time off) per year, plus 12
paid holidays. Physical Demands
- The physical demands associated with the essential functions of
this job are intermittent physical activity, such as walking,
sitting, lifting at least 30 lbs, and moving donations, boxes
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Keywords: Mercy Housing & Shelter Corp, Hartford , Director of Communications & Develop, Executive , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!