Manager, Decision Science
Company: Travelers Canada
Posted on: January 26, 2023
Who Are We?Taking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Job CategoryData Analytics, Data ScienceCompensation OverviewThe
annual base salary range provided for this position is a nationwide
market range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role
across the country. The actual salary for this position will be
determined by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity
and location of the role; the skills, education, training,
credentials and experience of the candidate; and other conditions
of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and
benefits program, employees are also eligible for performance-based
cash incentive awards.Salary Range$100,400.00 - $165,700.00Target
Openings1What Is the Opportunity?In Business Insurance Actuarial
and Analytics, we deliver tailored analytics and innovative data
science solutions that influence decisions and enable superior
results. We have an inclusive culture where everyone feels that
they belong, can be authentic, are valued, respected, empowered and
part of our success. - We see strength in the uniqueness that each
of us contributes to creating innovative solutions and improving
business outcomes.Our vision is to advance our ability to fuel
analytic-driven business decisions by accelerating cross-enterprise
collaboration and capabilities. As a Manager, Decision Science, you
will combine data expertise, statistical principles, business
understanding, relationship building, and communication skills that
will help to advance analytical maturity and business outcomes.
Through explanatory modeling and analytics as well as experimental
design and related inferential techniques, you will surface
actionable insights that influence business decisions and
strategies. Simply put, you are helping the business understand
'the why' underneath business trends and data. This discipline
focuses on supporting business areas and activities beyond pricing
and reserving, including Product, Sales, Marketing, Operations,
Human Resources, among others.This position is on the Business
Analytics team - a small and growing team within the larger,
well-established, organization. We're changing the way data and
analytics are produced and consumed in order to drive business
decisions. Our team is centralized and focused on the Small
Commercial sector. There are lots of impactful and meaningful
problems to solve that help small, local, regional, and national
businesses cover their risks and focus on their customers. We work
with our underwriters and operations teams to deliver useful data,
the right insights, or by building tooling to get the job done.What
Will You Do?
- Utilize a deep understanding of the business to procure data
for a specific analysis or prototypes for new data asset, while
following coding best practices.
- Possess a strong command of internal data sources, explore new
and unstructured data sources to assess potential business
- Determine and use appropriate techniques that may include
diagnostic analysis, active monitoring and/or multivariate methods
designed to answer business questions, test hypotheses, or assess
impacts and results.
- Explore and suggest new data and analytic tools, techniques and
industry best practices to apply to business problems.
- Apply appropriate visualization (charts, graphs, maps, etc.) to
analytic insights so that they may be delivered to various
- Interpret and communicate findings to key stakeholders.
Recommend optimal business action based on balancing business
constraints and analytical findings.
- Leverage existing organizational partnerships across lines and
functional teams to influence analytic outcomes.
- Become a mentor or resource for less experienced analytic
talent, onboard new employees and interns, and provide support for
recruiting and talent assessment efforts."
- Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM related field, or a Business School
Master's Degree with a concentration in a technical or analytical
- Four years of related data and analytic experience.
- Experience using explanatory, diagnostic, and inferential
techniques such as experimental design, hypothesis testing,
clustering analysis, time series and other statistical modeling
algorithms with the ability to decide the appropriate methodology
for the purpose.
- Experience working on large-scale multidimensional data using
intermediate knowledge of open-source cloud-enabled analytical
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously and follow through to
ensure timely completion.
- Ability to foresee challenges and proactively look for ways to
create more efficient processes for the business.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the
ability to explain analyses and methodology with business
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships
across the data & analytics community across the Enterprise.
- Experience with a programming language such as; Python, SQL, or
R. Familiarity with SAS.
- Experience using version control software like Git.
- Experience with Data Engineering principles such as; ETL/ELT,
data quality checks, and data modeling.
- The ability to find knowledge, capture it, and share it with
the broader team.What is a Must Have?
- Bachelor's degree or three years of experience in data,
analytics, engineering, science, technical analytical fields or
relevant experience.What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised
of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.Employment
PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the
unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our
organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from
our differences. -If you are a candidate and have specific
questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please
send us an so we may assist you.Travelers reserves the right to
fill this position at a level above or below the level included in
this posting.To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs
please visit .
Keywords: Travelers Canada, Hartford , Manager, Decision Science, Executive , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!