Community Social Worker
Company: Mercy Housing and Shelter Corp of CT
Posted on: January 12, 2022
Job Title: Community Social Worker
Department: Residential Support
Reports to: Team Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Scheduled Work Times/Locations: Monday - Friday, 8:30AM - 4:30PM;
2197 Main Street Hartford, CT
The Community Social Worker will work to support the Mission of My
Sisters' Place which is committed to ending homelessness and
empowering women, families, and others in Greater Hartford. The
Community Social worker will work with our clients to help achieve
independence and stability in their communities by providing
housing and supportive services. The Community Social worker holds
primary responsibility for working towards the goal of each
client's full and productive integration with the community.
- Prepare and participate in a monthly RUUM meetings with
- Provides comprehensive planning and active supports for the
care, treatment, and safety of the agency's clients.
- Demonstrates understanding and evaluates clients by
acknowledging individual psychological difficulty, ethnicity, and
- Assists clients with the development of individual plans and
goals and provides supports for achievement.
- Teaches clients and motivates the performance of independent
living skills including personal hygiene, laundry, and appropriate
dress; nutrition and meal preparation; maintaining a clean, safe
environment; banking, budgeting, and shopping; use of public
transportation; socialization; and self-advocacy.
- Assists client to secure a job or vocational program
- Mediates client disagreements and provides crisis
- Recognizes varied needs of individuals and plans programs to
accommodate differences and to support a healthy group
- Assists clients with the coordination of health services and,
as necessary, schedules client appointments for and provides
transportation to physicians, clinicians, and other health care
- Ensures annual medical, dental, and eye exams.
- Maintains communication with clients' families and
- Acts as liaison with other parties and advocates for client
- Maintains current records, logs and files and completes other
reports and correspondence as necessary.
- Acts as liaison with other agencies, i.e., DSS, SSI, CRMHC, and
other social and vocational agencies to advocate for and assist
- Assists in maintaining a clean, safe environment including
staff areas and agency vehicles.
- Attends and participates in meetings, conferences, seminars,
and trainings as appropriate.
- Participates with planning activities for clients, program, and
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Documentation skills including good oral and written
comprehension, computer literacy, accurate and timely documentation
and record keeping abilities.
- Ability to use critical thinking skills and develop sound
reasoning/logic when formulating solution focused treatment
- Ability to manage, organize and prioritize flow of work,
ability to motivate clients.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college/university or
two-three years' related experience and/or training; or equivalent
combination of education and experience, preferably with homeless
persons, persons with mental illness and/or substance abuse.
- Bi-Lingual, Spanish/English encouraged
Licenses and Certifications:
- Must have valid Connecticut driver's license and clean driving
record with proof of automobile insurance. Proof of COVID-19
Compensation & Benefits:
- $18-$21 per hour, based on experience plus generous incentive
- Community Housing Advocates provides a generous employee
benefits package, including medical, dental, retirement, short- and
long-term disability, and tuition reimbursement. Full-time
employees receive 26 days of PTO (paid time off) per year, plus 12
- The physical demands associated with the essential functions of
this job are intermittent physical activity, such as walking,
sitting and occasional lifting, stooping, bending, and
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CHA, My Sisters' Place and Mercy Housing and Shelter Corporation is
an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran
Keywords: Mercy Housing and Shelter Corp of CT, Hartford , Community Social Worker, Healthcare , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!