Business Insights & Analytics LDP Business Intelligence Participant
Posted on: January 7, 2021
Company SummaryTaking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Target Openings25Job Description SummaryInnovative thinking,
creative problem-solving, and a determination to challenge the
status-quo. These are some of the defining qualities for
participants of our Business Insights & Analytics Leadership
Development Program (BI&A LDP). This three-year rotational
program is designed to grow and develop your understanding of how
to leverage data for business insights and self-leadership skills.
Each rotation will consist of a combination of hands-on experience,
access to a robust BI curriculum, and a formal mentoring program to
prepare you for a dynamic career. You will have the opportunity to
explore multiple functions of analytics while learning from
different leaders within Travelers.As a Business Insights &
Analytics LDP consultant, you will model the way for others and set
a personal example of what is expected. You will be expected to
positively challenge processes and identify new and innovative ways
to get work done more effectively and efficiently. You will be
expected to take initiative, embrace change, actively listen to and
support diverse points of view and celebrate the success of others.
If this is more than you imagined in a career in insurance, we
encourage you to join us at Travelers.This program offers optional
rotations with the ability to rotate into one of the many job
families of traditional business intelligence; including but not
limited to: Information Delivery, Data Management, Business
Performance Analytics, Data Engineering, or Business Analysis.
Positions within this family work with business customers to
determine how business intelligence information and analytic
solutions can be leveraged to provide business insights for
business strategies, capabilities, and processes.Primary Job Duties
& ResponsibilitiesThe program is multi-faceted and offers a
business insights & analytics and business development curriculum
focused on analytics, insurance, strategy, leading self and
influencing others. Other program components include formal
mentoring, networking and career guidance.BI&A LDP participant
duties will vary based on the specific rotation, but will be within
one or more of the areas outlined below:Participants could be
placed in one of the following rotations:Business Performance
- Profiles data, draws business inferences, completes analysis
and clearly articulates findings for a target audience.
- Holds accountability for performing less complex core tasks of
Descriptive Analytics (the exploration and investigation of past
business performance), partnering with team members on more complex
- Manipulates raw data sets into information fit for analysis
applying needed logic or requirements from subject matter
- Independently performs Data Acquisition, Prep and Exploration:
reviews, prepares, basic design, and integrates data.
- Corrects minor problems and implements data cleansing/quality
- Operationalizes and automates well defined simple data products
- Builds, tests, and implements simple analytic processes,
including pilots and proof of concept.Business Analysis:
- Assists in the process of eliciting, analyzing, specifying,
communicating and validating business intelligence requirements
while identifying project issues which require escalation.
- Manipulates, validates, and analyzes data using Excel, SQL and
other analytical tools to develop insights; aids business partners
with reporting, dashboard and other analytic solution to achieve
their business goals.
- Learns how to inform data management of new sources and
attributes for their governance, including driving improvements to
data quality, and identifying data gaps to resolve
- Works with delivery team to fulfill the delivery strategy for
- Learns how to develop, automate, compile, and prepare reports,
dashboards, cubes, embedded analytics, etc.
- Takes ownership of necessary components such as: Collection of
data, Integration of that data, and Development (prototyping,
coding, and production build).
- Learns how to complete root cause analysis and facilitates some
quality assurance facets of projects.
- Learns how to inform data management of new sources and
attributes for their governance.Data Management:
- Aids in the data governance and metadata processes by preparing
artifacts for review and submission (i.e. researching, preparing
simple submissions, and data quality metrics.) Participants are
expected to evolve to facilitator of data governance meetings.
- Facilitates, creates, and monitors for data quality across all
- Demonstrates understanding of overall data models, data
relationships, mapping lineage and business rules and participates
in the creation of data models (e.g. entity design and population)
and takes ownership accordingly to department requests and
- Learns and adheres to all data management, information
protection, and governance practices.Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor's or master's degree in STEM (Science, Technology,
Engineering or Math) required.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States now and in the
future.Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater.
- Previous data, general business, and/or project management
- Previous property & casualty insurance experience (may include
one or more data-related internship experiences).
- SQL experience strongly preferred, experience with
dashboarding, scorecard, or reporting tools a plus.
- SAS and/or Python literacy.Job Specific Technical Skills &
- Accountability: Strong track record of taking ownership and
responsibility for actions and outcomes, performance, and
- Analytical and Critical Thinking: Demonstrated aptitude in
identifying current or future problems or opportunities, analyzing
data, synthesizing and comparing information to understand issues,
identifying cause/effect relationships and exploring alternative
solutions to support sound decision making.
- Change Management/Resilience: Ability to remain energized and
focused in the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Customer Focus: Proven customer service skills with the ability
to provide service excellence to internal or external clients.
- Emotional Intelligence: Demonstrated track record of self and
social awareness, empathy and balances confidence with
- Interpersonal: Excellent communication skills with the ability
to actively engage with others while maintaining a positive
- Judgment/Decision Making: Capability of exercising sound
judgment, making decisions and committing to a position.
- Leveraging Differences: Proven capacity to works with and
include people from different backgrounds, experiences, cultures,
races, etc. and view those differences as assets to be leveraged to
accomplish business goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management: Strong relationship management skills
including the ability to seek out, build, foster and maintain
productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet goals and
- Teamwork: Ability to work together in situations when actions
are interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a
- Work Ethic: Possession of a strong drive to do what it takes to
get the job done; inquisitive and demonstrates a strong willingness
to learn.Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- Travel Requirements: Travel OccasionallyEmployment
PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the
unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our
organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from
our differences.If you have questions regarding the physical
requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist
you.Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level
above or below the level included in this posting.
Keywords: Travelers, Hartford , Business Insights & Analytics LDP Business Intelligence Participant, Other , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!