Managing Account Executive - Commercial Accounts
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: April 2, 2021
Managing Account Executive - Commercial Accounts Job ID:
Job Category: Underwriting
Location: Hartford, CT
Posted Date: March 24, 2021
Apply Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it. Target Openings 1
Job Description Summary Under general direction, responsible for
the profitability, growth and retention of assigned book of
business within a territory that is consistent with overall
business line objectives. Marketing and underwriting
responsibilities typically include: Underwriting new and renewal
business on accounts of moderate to high complexity within assigned
sub-territory/location(s). As a representative of the company,
market to and develop relationships with agents and brokers.
Working with Managing Director, implements business strategies to
effectively achieve profit and growth objectives for assigned
sub-territory/location(s). Working with other business units as
appropriate to support market penetration objectives and seeking
out cross-sell opportunities. In addition to managing a book of
business ranging up to the most complex accounts within an assigned
territory, manages a small group of Account Executives. May manage
remote employees. Takes a portfolio view of their book of business
to manage profitability. Staff management functions include, but
are not limited to, coaching, training, planning and performance
management in a supportive, team oriented, collaborative manner.
The incumbent in this job is a manager. Primary Job Duties &
Responsibilities Underwriting and Pricing:
- Underwrites primarily moderate to high complexity accounts and
risks and considers different approaches toward risks to maximize
profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits,
- In support of the business, uses good judgment in making
decisions within own underwriting authority and may provide input
on more complex accounts.
- Provides input into the development of regional business
- Implements business strategies to effectively achieve business
objectives for assigned location(s). Distribution and Agency
- Effectively manages assigned agents/brokers by developing and
maintaining relationships to write and retain accounts consistent
with business unit appetite.
- With an increased level of independence, uses a consultative
marketing/ sales culture and successfully employs consultative
selling approach to market products to agents and brokers.
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities and
effectively cross sells market segment and Travelers
- Develops agency sales/business plan and frequently partners
with MD to develop region/group sales plan.
- May lead underwriting/agency meetings.
- May attend industry events. Negotiation:
- Negotiates without guidance. Executes Strategy and Drives
- Demonstrates leadership, with an increased level of
independence, by providing strategic direction and support to
- Drives efforts to achieve quality results and promotes a spirit
of always doing the right thing on behalf of the enterprise and the
business. Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Effectively drives a collaborative business approach and
fosters enterprise wide solutions to local business issues. Leading
- In addition to leading self, effectively manages all facets of
staff performance in order to achieve business objectives.
- Proactively recruits for talent and acquires high caliber
people with a diversity of skills and backgrounds.
- Manages performance and provides honest, constructive
- Provides tangible rewards for significant achievements. Clearly
differentiates rewards for top performers.
- Participates in and accountable for the training of less
experienced Account Executives.
- Is routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource.
- Other duties as assigned. Minimum Qualifications
- 4 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 4 years of AE/ underwriting experience required.
- Typically has 6-8 years of relevant Account Executive
- Understands industry business operations and work methods,
critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the
region and local office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the local insurance
marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to the Company's
advantage; continuously seeks out local market insight; is
routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches/
mentors less experienced employees on an ongoing basis. Product
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and
procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day
work activities. Regarded as a knowledge resource by team.
- Previous Commercial Accounts underwriting experience preferred.
Licensing or Certificates
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business. Job
Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Business Perspective: Uses knowledge of internal and external
factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make
- Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen: Identifies current or
future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and
compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect
relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense
management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and
maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet
goals and achieve results.
- People Management: Effectively manages all facets of staff
performance in order to achieve business objectives. Employment
Practices Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the
unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our
organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from
our differences.-- If you have questions regarding the physical
requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist
you. Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level
above or below the level included in this posting. Careers at
Travelers When you work at Travelers, life's most important moments
become your life's work. That means helping families feel secure,
businesses to prosper, knowing that you've made a difference, and
feeling like you belong to something bigger. It also means being
part of a team comprised of 30,000 + talented and passionate people
that are evolving to meet changing needs - from customer service to
data science and beyond. If that's more than you imagined in an
insurance career, it's time to join us at Travelers.
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , Managing Account Executive - Commercial Accounts, Other , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!