Friendship Center Coordinator
Company: Mercy Housing & Shelter
Posted on: April 8, 2021
Community Housing AdvocatesAn Affiliate of Mercy Housing &
Shelter Corp. and My Sisters' Place
Job Title: Friendship Center CoordinatorDepartment: Friendship
Center - St. Elizabeth's HouseReports to: Director of Client
ServicesFSLA Status: Full-Time Nonexempt Scheduled Work Times:
Tuesday - Saturday, 6:30am - 2:30pmLocation: 118 Main Street,
Hartford, CT Job Summary The Friendship Center Coordinator is a key
member of the St. Elizabeth's House Team who oversees the operation
and smooth day-to-day functioning of Mercy Housing's Friendship
Center. This position will assist all guests with meeting their
needs while establishing and maintaining an environment for clients
that is consistent with agency values. Specific duties include
oversite of day shelter activities including food distribution,
volunteer engagement, monitoring safety/security of the facility,
case management, and data collection. This position will work in
conjunction with the day shelter monitors, volunteer coordinator,
outreach worker and Director of Client Services. This position is
classified as ESSENTIAL; therefore, the employee must report for
work when scheduled, regardless of weather or other conditions that
affect travel. Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors and supervises the Friendship Center and client
affairs; assists clients with needs and questions; and maintains
shelter order in accordance with policies.
- Welcomes new Friendship Center clients, completes data
paperwork, creates client files in HMIS, and orients new
- Enforces shelter policies and follows staff policies and
procedures. Follows all established security procedures. Interacts
with ambulance and police department according to established
- Performs general administrative functions such as noting within
the communication log, answering the phone, and responding to
in-person inquiries in a professional manner. Provides appropriate
information and referrals for those who need other resources.
- Provides in-house referrals in writing to Outreach Worker and
works in conjunction with worker as needed.
- Works with Director of Client Services and Cook to assure food
served is sufficient and of quality.
- Monitors the activities of clients to ensure the safety of
clients, volunteers, and staff.
- Helps clients resolve any issues as they may arise.
- Helps volunteers with questions or issues when necessary.
- Provides crisis intervention as needed, including determining
when it is necessary to involve other staff, administration, or the
authorities. Demonstrates the ability to deescalate situations and
maintain control of the group.
- Maintains written and oral communication of incidents in
accordance with policies.
- Completes and/or assures completion of COVID protocols
including cleaning & disinfecting Friendship Center Room.
- Attends staff meetings and participates in activities
designated by the director or management
- Check the first aid kit monthly to ensure that all necessary
supplies are available in case of need.
- Perform any other tasks as assigned that will assist the agency
in carrying out its mission.
- Treat all clients with dignity and respect, prioritize client
needs, and advocate for the people we serve.
- Maintain confidentiality of client information.
- Promote the human dignity, rights, safety, and wellbeing of
- Professionally and ethically handle agency and client
- Fulfill all responsibilities as a mandatory reporter.
- Display a positive attitude towards clients, programs, and the
- Demonstrate good communication with clients, supervisors,
peers, outside resources and family/guardians.
- Adhere to all applicable regulations, laws and
policies/procedures and know and understand your job
- Submit paperwork and meet job responsibility deadlines as
assigned. Supervisory Responsibilities: This position will
supervise the Friendship Center Monitor position as well as assist
the Volunteer Coordinator with supervision of community service
workers and/or volunteers. Education and Experience
- As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the
core values of Mercy Housing & Shelter and be driven by the mission
of the organization.
- Minimum bachelor's degree in Human Services, Social Work,
Psychology, or Criminal Justice
- At least two years' experience working in Human Services
working with one or more of the following: individuals experiencing
homelessness, mental health related issues, substance abuse,
domestic violence, HIV/AIDS related issues, and with those living
in poverty preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional boundaries in
working with clients.
- Knowledge of community resources in the Hartford metro
- Ability to manage multiple projects with demanding and
competing deadlines, superior organizational skills, and the
ability to maintain a quality workplace in a diverse, fast paced,
stressful and changing environment.
- Ability to work independently or in a team.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude, self-motivation,
organization, and resourcefulness while maintaining a reputation
through proven action of being team and client oriented and willing
to assist where/when needed.
- Ability to negotiate different personalities and work under
- Ability to assess emergency situations and respond
- Excellent written and verbal skills in the English language.
Bilingual English-Spanish preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in using Microsoft Outlook, Word,
Excel, and other applications as well as experience using and
entering data into HMIS or other client databases.
- Must be prompt and dependable.
- Two-three years supervisory experience a plus. Certificates,
Licenses, RegistrationsMust have valid Connecticut driver's license
and clean driving record with proof of automobile insurance. Salary
Up to $36,000 annually Physical Demands
- Ability and willingness to perform light housekeeping and
lifting up to 30 pounds independently.
- Ability to stand on feet for periods of time. CHA, My Sisters'
Place and Mercy Housing and Shelter Corporation is an equal
Keywords: Mercy Housing & Shelter, Hartford , Friendship Center Coordinator, Other , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!