Housing Specialist (Rapid Rehousing)
Posted on: April 11, 2021
An Affiliate of Mercy Housing & Shelter Corp. and My Sisters'
PlaceCommunity Housing Advocates Job Title: Housing Specialist
(Rapid Rehousing)Department: DiversionReports To: Lead Case
ManagerFLSA Status: Non-Exempt/Full Time Scheduled Work
Times/Locations Monday - Friday, 8:30AM - 4:30PM 117 Main Street,
Hartford, CT Job Summary:The Rapid Rehousing Case Manager/Housing
Specialist is responsible for the overall function and
implementation of the Rapid Rehousing Program, ensuring the highest
quality of service within the mission of Mercy Housing and Shelter
Corporation and creating an atmosphere of empowerment that ensures
an integration of the agency's mission into the delivery of
service. These responsibilities include meeting the requirements of
funders' contracts and ensuring compliance as well as providing
necessary documentation and training. The Housing Specialist helps
clients maintain affordable housing and carefully tracks progress
along the way. Program participants will include both families and
individuals within the metropolitan Hartford
- Provide intake/orientation to new clients.
- Provide case management services including assessment,
budgeting, employment search, arranging childcare, referrals,
linkage to other community supports, advocacy and monitoring of
housing plan to reduce housing barriers and increase client
integration into the neighborhood.
- Assist participants in locating and securing housing of their
choice by teaching them to find and use on-line and other available
- Apply knowledge of residential lease contracts and educate
clients on housing laws as well as client rights and
- Complete all required documentation with accurate and timely
entry into HMIS.
- Create and maintain consistent communication channels, both
verbal and written between tenants, landlords, referral sources,
debtors, creditors and other collaborating agencies or
- Identify, recruit, establish and maintain relationships with
responsible landlords, private and non-profit, who will work with
- Perform habitability, lead-based paint, and rent reasonableness
activities, including housing inspections as required.
- Serve as an ongoing liaison between property managers and
- Maintain accurate daily logs, records and files for each
- Transport clients as deemed necessary-Limiting transport to
housing related matters.
- Attend CAN meetings in Hartford and Middletown.
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned. Required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Five years' experience working with nonprofit, landlords and
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work with minimal
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate
effectively both verbally and written with diverse clientele.
- Excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office
- Attention to detail, organizational skills, and follow through
required, exceptional problem-solving capabilities.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet
deadlines; ability to prioritize tasks.
- Provide client housing readiness assessments. Education and
- Bachelor's degree in Social Work, or Human Services field from
an accredited university, however equivalent education and
experience will be considered.
- Five (5) years relevant work experience and demonstrated
ability to provide effective services to clients required.
- Knowledge of housing resources available in Greater Hartford is
- Have a familiarity with housing first, progressive engagement,
and reality testing.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) candidates strongly encouraged.
Licenses and Certifications:Must have valid Connecticut driver's
license and clean driving record with proof of automobile
insurance. Staff will be expected to transport clients in their
personal car. CHA, My Sisters' Place and Mercy Housing and Shelter
Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: jtpostmaster, Hartford , Housing Specialist (Rapid Rehousing), Other , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!