Machine Learning Engineer
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
Thats the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Support the strategy and managing projects, people or innovation
streams. Conduct a variety of statistical analyses including data
mining, predictive modeling and/or actuarial techniques. Review
analyses and provide direction and insight. Work within broad
limits and authority on complex assignments requiring specialized
knowledge in breadth and/or depth in area of expertise which may be
one or more of the following: Advanced statistical analyses.
Actuarial and/or research methods. Broad business knowledge.
In-depth Line of Business knowledge. May provide direction to a
team of analysts and/or project members.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform and manage a variety of advanced statistical analyses
including data mining and actuarial research techniques.
- Analyze/interpret data, draw business inferences and clearly
articulate findings for target audience.
- May manage one or more advanced research projects
- Present analysis and recommendations to target audience.
- May lead in-depth efforts in applying, validating and
implementing predictive models.
- Assist in the development of new approaches to business
- Proactively stay abreast of industry, developments, changing
trends and jurisdictional issues. Attend various seminars and
conference as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with business
- Partner with peers across organization and potentially across
the company, to ensure consistency and alignment where
- PhD STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) degree
with 1 years experience or Masters STEM degree with 4 years
experience or Bachelor's STEM degree with 6 yrs required.
- Moderate working knowledge of modeling/research/analytics or
- Relevant statistical analysis work experience required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Hands on experience using Spark/Python. Utilizing DataBricks a
- Understanding of AWS Native tools like Lambda, Glue, Kinesis,
Terraform scripting, EC2, IAM etc.
- Proficiency with Python and basic libraries for machine
learning such as scikit-learn and pandas etc.
- Experience working with various ML algorithms and implementing
- Hands-on experience in writing complex, optimized SQL queries
across large datasets.
- Understanding of tools/technologies like Athena, Redshift and
snowflake a plus
- Understanding of Visualization tools: Tableau, Qliksense or
- Nice to have experience with Airflow DAG for
- Having awareness of web development technologies and frameworks
like Node Js, React Js, HTML, Java script, CSS is a plus
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Ability to read/revise/review a statistical software program
(e.g. R, SAS, SPSS.
- Ability to create advanced programs from scratch.
- Leading the Business:
- Problem Solving & Decision Making.
- Risk Taking, Innovation.
- Results Orientation.
- Business Perspective.
- Understanding & Navigating the Organization (Includes
- Forging Synergy.
- Communicating Effectively.
- Leveraging Differences.
- Building & Mending Relationships.
- Participative Management.
- Leading Employees.
- Employee Development.
- Leading Self:
- Openness to Influence.
- Self Awareness.
- Seeks Opportunities to Learn.
- Leadership Stature.
- Understanding and knowledge of key business knowledge areas
(e.g. product, enterprise, industry, claim process and
- Ability to leverage business knowledge to determine approaches
- Ability to take action in solving problems while exhibiting
judgment and a realistic understanding of issues; ability to use
reason; review facts, identify inconsistencies and weigh options;
ability to make logical and timely decisions that address the right
- Ability to develop advanced models and interpret model
- Understanding of advanced statistics underlying data
- Ability to apply new statistical procedures to work.
- Demonstrates strong ability and knowledge of database
principles, data profiling, statistics and data modeling and can
apply this knowledge in new or complex situations.
- May guide other professionals.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of
this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level
above or below the level included in this posting.
Keywords: Travelers, Hartford , Machine Learning Engineer, Other , hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!