Senior Associate, CAT Risk
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: November 15, 2021
Company SummaryTaking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Target Openings1Job Description SummaryThe Catastrophe Risk
Management group is seeking a scientist to join our expanding
PERILS team. You will be joining a group of dedicated professionals
charged with leading Travelers to be able to endure catastrophic
loss from natural and man-made perils.The PERILS team is a
multi-disciplinary group focusing on peril research, the
development of next generation analytics, and event response
activities. This position offers a unique opportunity to apply your
scientific expertise to perform peril research, to support business
strategy, and to provide technical and analytical support to
evaluate weather and climate trends and improve meteorological best
practices and standards. This role offers an excellent opportunity
to develop an in-depth understanding of probabilistic catastrophe
models, how catastrophe loss estimates are developed and used in
planning, pricing, underwriting, and aggregation management.The
PERILS team engages in complex, enterprise-wide, multi-disciplinary
CAT research projects with various depths of focus. The position
requires an individual who can strive in an analytical,
innovation-driven environment, in tune with business needs.This
position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our
offices.Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Stay abreast of latest atmospheric science research, including
summarizing results and assessing materiality to current business
- Perform natural catastrophe peril research (e.g. hurricane,
severe thunderstorm, winter storm)
- Participate in coordinated, real-time, event response for
hurricane, severe thunderstorm, winter storm, and wildfire
- Identify ways to improve event response tools and
- Implement calibrations of latest science and Travelers view of
risk into models and business processes as relating to hurricane,
severe thunderstorm, and winter storm
- Research identified emerging issues related to natural and
man-made catastrophe perils (e.g. hurricane, severe thunderstorm,
wildfire, and winter storm), which may include weather trends,
climate related risks, and new science
- Gather data and analyze trends relating to weather and
- Provide research and analytical support for climate change
- Identifies, selects and extracts relevant data from various
internal and external sources. Completes analysis and presents
recommendations to team members and manager.
- Assist with business and market result interpretation
- Support our Business Units Consulting and Actuarial functions
with ad-hoc research and peril strategy development
- Create and maintain collaborative relationships with business
- Master's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Sciences,
Actuarial Science or related analytical STEM field plus one year of
experience or any suitable and equivalent combination of education
and work experience.
- Heavy concentration in mathematics, including statistics and
programming, business intelligence/analytics, as well as data
science tools and research using large data sets. Additional
verification of specific coursework will be required.Education,
Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Masters in STEM related field or equivalent. Advanced degree in
atmospheric science preferred.
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft suite, SQL, geospatial,
statistical packages or other programs used to retrieve and analyze
- Intermediate knowledge of insurance concepts, coverage,
products and operations preferred
- Experience with at least one programming language required
- Experience with FORTRAN, NCL, and shell scripting a plus
- Experience with Linux/UNIX a plus
- Intermediate knowledge of statistics
- Intermediate knowledge of geospatial concepts and tools
- Knowledge and understanding of catastrophe models a plus
- Knowledge of catastrophe model output and metrics a plus
- Experience with at least one of the leading vendor catastrophe
models a plus
- Analytical and critical thinking: Ability to find ways to use
available data sources to answer questions and solve problems.
Ability to synthesize complex multivariate problems.
- Communication: Ability to communicate scientific, mathematical,
statistical, and financial concepts to non-technical audiences.
This position offers high visibility and opportunities for
interaction with senior management.
- Accountability: Takes ownership and responsibility for actions
and outcomes, performance and results
- Change Management/Resilience: Remains energized and focused in
the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands.
- Communication: Demonstrates effective verbal, written and
listening communication skills.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Exercises sound judgment, makes
decisions and commits to a position.
- Leveraging Differences: Works with and includes people from
different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views
those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business
goals and objectives.
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and
maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet
goals and achieve results.
- Teamwork: Works together in situations when actions are
interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a
result.Employment PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity
employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual
brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in
numerous ways from our differences.If you are a candidate and have
specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this
role, please send us an email so we may assist you.Travelers
reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below
the level included in this posting.To learn more about our
comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , Senior Associate, CAT Risk, Other , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!