Commercial Accounts Underwriter - Business Center AE
Company: Travelers Group
Posted on: November 19, 2021
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description Summary
Under general supervision, has joint responsibility with the field
AE partner for the profitability, growth and retention of aligned
book of business within a territory that is consistent with overall
business line objectives. Marketing and underwriting
responsibilities typically include: Underwriting business on lower
touch, eligible accounts with moderate complexity. As a
representative of the company, virtually markets to and develops
relationships with agents and brokers. Works with field AEs as
appropriate to support market penetration objectives and seeks out
cross-sell opportunities. Works in small teams to manage aligned
territory. May occasionally seek assistance from a senior level
Account Executive or manager on more challenging accounts. Takes a
portfolio view of their book of business to manage
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Underwriting and Pricing:
- Underwrites primarily moderately complex accounts and risks and
considers different approaches toward risks to maximize
profitability (e.g., pricing, retention, endorsements, limits,
- Uses good judgment in making decisions within own underwriting
authority and makes recommendations on other accounts to meet
business objectives. Is comfortable doing this in a fast paced
- Initiates collaborative discussions.
- Efficiently manages the life cycle of aligned book in
accordance with established workflow guidelines.
Distribution and Agency Management:
- Effectively manages assigned agents/brokers by developing and
maintaining relationships to write and retain accounts consistent
with business unit appetite.
- Virtually builds and maintains customer satisfaction with
cohesive communications, products and services that are consistent
with the Business Center quality and productivity goals.
- Uses consultative marketing/ sales skills and successfully
employs a consultative selling approach to virtually market
products to agents and brokers.
- In partnership with the field, executes sales strategies to
achieve targeted growth strategies.
- Negotiates skillfully in difficult situations.
Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- Develops and executes on a plan to meet business
- Anticipates and identifies moderately complex
underwriting/marketing problems, thoroughly analyzes available
information and makes timely practical decisions.
Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Fosters collaboration within the business center and across the
enterprise. Seeks enterprise-wide solutions to business problems.
Assists less experienced employees when appropriate.
- In addition to leading self, may coach less experienced staff
- May participate in the training of less experienced Account
- 2 years of Account Executive/underwriting experience required.
Relevant agent/broker experience may be appropriate.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- Typically has 3-5 years of relevant Account Executive
- Previous multi-line underwriting preferred.
- Industry/Business Knowledge:
- Understands the local insurance marketplace, industry business
operations, critical issues and financial drivers that affect the
region and local office.
- Continuously seeks out market insight and uses acquired
knowledge to assist less experienced employees.
- Product Knowledge:
- Understands organizational and regulatory rules, policies and
procedures and effectively employs that knowledge in day-to-day
- Uses acquired skills and knowledge to assist less experienced
Licensing or Certificates
- CPCU designation preferred.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Business Perspective: Uses knowledge of internal and external
factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make
- Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen: Identifies current or
future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and
compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect
relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense
management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and
maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet
goals and achieve results.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Careers at Travelers
When you work at Travelers, life's most important moments become
your life's work. That means helping families feel secure,
businesses to prosper, knowing that you've made a difference, and
feeling like you belong to something bigger. It also means being
part of a team comprised of 30,000 + talented and passionate people
that are evolving to meet changing needs - from customer service to
data science and beyond. If that's more than you imagined in an
insurance career, it's time to join us at Travelers.
Keywords: Travelers Group, Hartford , Commercial Accounts Underwriter - Business Center AE, Other , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!