Boiler and Machinery Claim Representative Trainee
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: May 8, 2022
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a
nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries
for this role across the country. The actual salary for this
position will be determined by a number of factors, including the
scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education,
training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other
conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation
and benefits program, employees are also eligible for
performance-based cash incentive awards.
$43,600.00 - $71,900.00
What Is the Opportunity?
This is an entry level position that requires satisfactory
completion of required training to advance to Claim Representative,
Inside Boiler Machinery / Equipment Breakdown. Under close
supervision, this position is responsible for investigating,
evaluating, negotiating and resolving claims on losses of lesser
value and complexity. Provides quality claim handling throughout
the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation,
evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including
maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality
standards and state specific regulations. As part of the hiring
process, this position requires the completion of an online
pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the
assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be
provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for
Travelers offers a hybrid work location model that is designed to
support flexibility (3 days in the office, 2 days from home).
What Will You Do?
- Participate in on-going training requirements including,
online, virtual, classroom, and on-the-job training for the
- Deliver consistent service quality throughout the claim life
cycle, including but not limited to prompt contact, explaining the
process, setting expectations, on-going communication, and
follow-through meeting commitments to achieve optimal outcome on
- Handle 1st party Boiler & Machinery/Equipment Breakdown claims
of low to moderate severity and complexity as assigned.Work closely
with Unit Manager or mentor to promptly resolve assigned
- Review and analyze coverage and applying policy conditions,
provisions, exclusions and endorsements, and how jurisdictional
issues impact the claim.
- Review and analyze Reinsurance treaties, agreements,
provisions, exclusions and applicable property forms that are
appropriate to the various programs and losses.
- nvestigate each claim to obtain relevant facts necessary to
determine coverage, causation/ damages, extent of
liability/establishment of negligence, damages, contribution
potential and exposure with respect to the various coverages
provided through prompt contact with appropriate parties (e.g..
policyholders, accounts, claimants, law enforcement agencies,
witnesses, agents, medical providers and technical experts) taking
- Manage file inventory and expense reserves by utilizing an
effective diary system, documenting claim file activities to
resolve claim in a timely manner. Handle files in compliance with
state regulations, where applicable.
- Determine settlement amounts, negotiating and conveying claim
settlements within authority limits to insureds and claimants.
- Refer claims beyond authority as appropriate based on exposure
and established guidelines.
- Complete required training which includes the overall
instruction, exposure, and preparation for employees to progress to
the next level position. The training may require travel.
- Work closely with reinsurance business partners to achieve
optimal claim resolution.
- Write denial letters, Reservation of Rights and other complex
correspondence to insureds.
- Meet all quality standards and expectations as contained in the
applicable Knowledge Guide.
- Identify and refer claims that may have valued added by an
outside field inspection conducted by Risk Control or engineering
- Determine cases that may have fraud potential and to refer
claims to Special Investigations Unit.
- In order to progress to Claim Representative, a Trainee must
demonstrate proficiency in the skills outlined above. Proficiency
will be verified by appropriate management, according to
- Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's Degree preferred or a minimum of 2 years of work OR
customer service related experience preferred.
- Prior hands-on mechanical/electrical experience a plus.
What is a Must Have?
- High School Diploma or GED and one year of customer service
experience OR Bachelors Degree required.
What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised
of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , Boiler and Machinery Claim Representative Trainee, Other , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!