CAT Risk Wildfire Sr. Lead, modeler (remote)
Company: The Travelers Companies, Inc.
Posted on: May 12, 2022
Who Are We?
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other.
That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have
maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty
insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a
culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration.
Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
The annual base salary range provided for this position is a
nationwide market range and represents a broad range of salaries
for this role across the country. The actual salary for this
position will be determined by a number of factors, including the
scope, complexity and location of the role; the skills, education,
training, credentials and experience of the candidate; and other
conditions of employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation
and benefits program, employees are also eligible for
performance-based cash incentive awards.
$146,200.00 - $241,200.00
What Is the Opportunity?
Solid reputation, passionate people, and endless opportunities.
That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent
record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers
- and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to
be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a
The Travelers Catastrophe Risk Management Group is seeking a CAT
Senior Director to join our PERILS team. You will be joining a
group of dedicated professionals charged with leading Travelers to
be in position to successfully endure catastrophic loss from
natural and man-made perils.
The PERILS team is a multi-discipline group focusing on peril
research, the development of next generation analytics, and event
response activities. As a member of this team you will be an active
participant in the development and implementation of peril research
and strategies. The team engages in enterprise-wide complex
multi-disciplinary CAT research projects with various depths of
focus. The position requires an individual who can strive in an
analytical, innovation-driven environment, in tune with business
This role may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
We are seeking a candidate with a solid analytical base in a
scientific, engineering, or related quantitative discipline. The
person will have effective self-organizational and time-management
skills with the ability to work independently and formulate and
execute project objectives. We seek problem solving and critical
thinking skills in support of the team's efforts to provide
best-in-class analyses to our business partners in CAT-prone
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide thought leadership and execution for the peril of
- Partner with other subject matter experts to develop and
implement our wildfire View or Risk
- Identify, select, and extract relevant data from various
internal and external sources. Complete analyses and present
recommendations to team members, stakeholders, and Leadership
- Validate wildfire Catastrophe Probabilistic Models and Risk
- Stay abreast of the latest scientific research and summarize
findings for the wildfire peril, including impacts of climate
change on the peril
- Perform catastrophe peril research, partnering with other
subject matter experts
- Research identified emerging issues related to the wildfire
- Drive innovation through new tools/technologies and
- Monitor the Company's exposures, aggregations, and
peril-specific book mix changes
- Support our Business Units Consulting and Actuarial functions
with ad-hoc research and peril strategy development
- Create and maintain collaborative relationships with business
- Master's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Sciences,
Actuarial Science or related analytical STEM field plus six years
of experience or any suitable and equivalent combination of
education and work experience.
- Heavy concentration in mathematics, including statistics and
programming, business intelligence/analytics, as well as data
science tools and research using large data sets. Additional
verification of specific coursework will be required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite, SQL, geospatial, statistical
packages, or other programs used to retrieve and analyze data
- Intermediate knowledge of insurance concepts, coverage,
products, and operations preferred.
- Working knowledge of a programming language such as
- Experience with at least one of the leading vendor catastrophe
- Works well both independently & within a team, strong
organization, and time management
- Demonstrated ability to convey technical concepts across
professional fields of discipline
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Working experience with at least one programming language
- Analytical and critical thinking: Ability to find ways to use
available data sources to answer questions and solve problems.
Ability to synthesize complex multivariate problems
- Communication: Ability to communicate scientific, mathematical,
statistical, and financial concepts to non-technical audiences.
This position offers high visibility and opportunities for
interaction with senior management
- Accountability: Takes ownership and responsibility for actions
and outcomes, performance, and results
- Change Management/Resilience: Remains energized and focused in
the face of ambiguity, change or strenuous demands
- Communication: Demonstrates effective verbal, written and
listening communication skills.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Exercises sound judgment, makes
decisions and commits to a position
- Leveraging Differences: Works with and includes people from
different backgrounds, experiences, cultures, races, etc. and views
those differences as assets to be leveraged to accomplish business
goals and objectives
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters, and
maintains productive relationships, networks, or alliances to meet
goals and achieve results
- Teamwork: Works together in situations when actions are
interdependent, and a team is mutually responsible to produce a
This role may be based 100% remotely or in one of our offices.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique
abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization
and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting.
To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
Keywords: The Travelers Companies, Inc., Hartford , CAT Risk Wildfire Sr. Lead, modeler (remote), Other , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!