Senior Purchasing Specialist
Company: United Steel Inc
Posted on: September 23, 2022
Come join the team atUnited Steel, New England's largest
fabricator and erector of structural steel and miscellaneous
United Steel is currently seeking a Senior Purchasing Specialist.
This position coordinates the procurement and distribution of
materials, parts, supplies and utility contracts for the
Please click or copy the link below to complete a pre-hire survey.
It must be completed to be considered for the position. It will
open in a separate window. Applicants will not be considered until
completing this process.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Plans, organizes, directs, controls and executes all activities
related to the procurement function of all company materials, parts
and supplies for all departments including shop, field and
- Analyzes market and delivery conditions to determine present
and future material availability.
- Oversees all activities related to procurement of a commodity,
from intent to purchase through delivery of commodity.
- Implements, manages and maintains procurement reporting systems
to meet company requirements
- Prepares instructions regarding purchasing systems and
procedures and communicates them to the appropriate
- Recruits, negotiates and maintains suppliers that provide high
quality products and services at a better price while maintaining
the highest code of ethics and conduct
- Develops a system to evaluate vendor quotations that utilizes
appropriate negotiation and purchasing techniques to ensure
quality, price, delivery, and service.
- Prepares and reviews contracts, bids, proposals, and vendor
agreements for legal correctness, price, and acceptability of items
- Negotiate and execute utility contracts
- Prepares and issues purchase orders and change
- Reviews purchase order claims and contracts for conformance to
- Negotiates or supervises the negotiation of complex requests
for equipment, supplies, and services from suppliers and
- Develops a system that allows the organization to establish a
preferred subcontractor list.
- Arranges for disposal of surplus materials.
- Responsible for a budget between 2MM to 5MM
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Employee may perform other duties to meet the ongoing needs of the
- Business Degree; or two to four years related experience and/or
training; or equivalent combination of education and
- 7+ years of purchasing experience in a construction and
manufacturing industry required
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business
periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or
governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business
correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively
present information and respond to questions from groups of
managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and
draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety
of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal
with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts,
interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area,
circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic
algebra and geometry.
- Directly supervises one employee. Carries out supervisory
responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and
applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and
training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work;
appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees;
addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Skills Desired: strong attention to detail, ability to
multitask, good communications skills
This is a full-time office environment position, and hours of work
and days are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Some
flexibility in hours is allowed, which needs to be discussed and
approved by the department Manager in advance and must work 40
hours each week to maintain full-time status.
We offer competitive wages, excellent benefits, 401(k) with company
match, supplemental benefits and more. Please send your resume and
cover letter using the link.
SUPPORT IS OUR STRENGTH
An Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer
Keywords: United Steel Inc, Hartford , Senior Purchasing Specialist, Other , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!