Excess & Surplus Lines Casualty/Property Insurance Underwriter, Northfield - Remote or Hybrid
Company: Travelers Canada
Posted on: November 21, 2022
Who Are We?Taking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Job CategoryUnderwritingCompensation OverviewThe annual base
salary range provided for this position is a nationwide market
range and represents a broad range of salaries for this role across
the country. The actual salary for this position will be determined
by a number of factors, including the scope, complexity and
location of the role; the skills, education, training, credentials
and experience of the candidate; and other conditions of
employment. As part of our comprehensive compensation and benefits
program, employees are also eligible for performance-based cash
incentive awards.Salary Range$98,200.00 - $162,000.00Target
Openings1What Is the Opportunity?Under general direction,
responsible for the profitability, growth and retention of assigned
book of business within a territory that is consistent with overall
business line objectives. Marketing and underwriting
responsibilities typically include: Underwriting new and renewal
business on complex accounts. As a representative of the company,
market to and develop relationships with agents and brokers.
Working with other business units as appropriate to support market
penetration objectives and seeking out cross-sell opportunities.
Independently manages assigned territory and book of business,
including more complex accounts. Takes a portfolio view of their
book of business to manage profitability. Routinely sought out by
others as a resource; coaches less experienced employees. Seen as a
role model and/or informal leader by other Account Executives in
all aspects of the job. The incumbent in this job does not manage
others.This position may be based 100% remotely or in on of our
office locations.What Will You Do?Underwriting and Pricing:
- Underwrites primarily complex accounts and risks and considers
different approaches toward risks to maximize profitability (e.g.,
pricing, retention, endorsements, limits, indemnity,
- Uses good judgment in making decisions within own underwriting
authority and makes recommendations on other accounts to meet
- Initiates collaborative discussions.Distribution and Agency
- Effectively manages assigned agents/brokers by developing and
maintaining relationships to write and retain accounts consistent
with business unit appetite.
- Often meets with agents/brokers and insureds in order to build
and maintain business relationship.Sales:
- Uses consultative marketing / sales skills and successfully
employs a consultative selling approach to market products to
agents and brokers.
- Identifies and captures new business opportunities and
effectively cross sells market segment and Travelers
- Develops agency sales/business plan and frequently partners
with region team lead to develop region/group sales
- Negotiates skillfully in difficult situations.
- Executes Strategy and Drives Results:
- Develops and executes on a plan to meet business
- Anticipates and identifies complex underwriting & marketing
problems, thoroughly analyzes available information and makes
timely practical decisions.
- Business Planning and Collaboration:
- Fosters collaboration within the business unit and across the
enterprise. Seeks enterprise-wide solutions to business
- Assists less experienced employees when appropriate.Leading
- In addition to leading self, may coach less experienced staff
- May participate in the training of less experienced
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.What Will Our Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor degree preferred.
- In some lines of business, relevant agent/broker experience may
- Typically has 6-8 years of relevant Account Executive
- Previous excess and surplus underwriting experience
- Industry/Business Knowledge
- Understands industry business operations and work methods,
critical business issues and financial drivers that affect the
region and local office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the local insurance
marketplace and effectively uses that knowledge to the Company's
advantage; continuously seeks out local market insight; is
routinely sought out by others as a knowledge resource; coaches /
mentors less experienced employees on an ongoing basis.
- Product Knowledge: Understands organizational and regulatory
rules, policies and procedures and effectively employs that
knowledge in day-to-day work activities.
- Uses acquired skills and knowledge to assist less experienced
employees. Routinely sought out by others as a knowledge
- Business Perspective: Uses knowledge of internal and external
factors impacting the property & casualty industry to make
- Analytical Thinking/Financial Acumen: Identifies current or
future problems or opportunities, analyzes, synthesizes and
compares information to understand issues, identifies cause/effect
relationships and explores alternative solutions to support sound
- Understands and uses financial information, tools and expense
management principles to accomplish day-to-day work and maximize
- Relationship Management: Seeks out, builds, fosters and
maintains productive relationships, networks or alliances to meet
goals and achieve results.
- Valid drivers license or alternate means of personal
- CPCU designation preferred in some lines of business.What is a
- 4 years of Account Executive/ underwriting experience
required.What Is in It for You?
- Health Insurance: Employees and their eligible family members -
including spouses, domestic partners, and children - are eligible
for coverage from the first day of employment.
- Retirement: Travelers matches your 401(k) contributions
dollar-for-dollar up to your first 5% of eligible pay, subject to
an annual maximum. If you have student loan debt, you can enroll in
the Paying it Forward Savings Program. When you make a payment
toward your student loan, Travelers will make an annual
contribution into your 401(k) account. You are also eligible for a
Pension Plan that is 100% funded by Travelers.
- Paid Time Off: Start your career at Travelers with a minimum of
20 days Paid Time Off annually, plus nine paid company
- Wellness Program: The Travelers wellness program is comprised
of tools and resources that empower you to achieve your wellness
goals. In addition, our Life Balance program provides access to
professional counseling services, life coaching and other resources
to support your daily life needs. Through Life Balance, you're
eligible for five free counseling sessions with a licensed
- Volunteer Encouragement: We have a deep commitment to the
communities we serve and encourage our employees to get involved.
Travelers has a Matching Gift and Volunteer Rewards program that
enables you to give back to the charity of your choice.Employment
PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the
unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our
organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from
our differences. -If you are a candidate and have specific
questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please
send us an so we may assist you.Travelers reserves the right to
fill this position at a level above or below the level included in
this posting.To learn more about our comprehensive benefit programs
please visit .
Keywords: Travelers Canada, Hartford , Excess & Surplus Lines Casualty/Property Insurance Underwriter, Northfield - Remote or Hybrid, Other , Hartford, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!